Tomatoes - cordon or bush?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes - cordon or bush?

I am just looking at 2 catalogues deciding which tomato plants to buy. One puts moneymaker and shirley as bush, but the other says it is cordon. That's the one I am inclined to believe.
    If there is someone who knows these two, I would be grateful if you could tell me.
    Many thanx.
    There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

I grow Shirley as cordon - never grown Moneymaker though.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by ann-the-nan View Post
      I am just looking at 2 catalogues deciding which tomato plants to buy. One puts moneymaker and shirley as bush, but the other says it is cordon. That's the one I am inclined to believe.
      If there is someone who knows these two, I would be grateful if you could tell me.
      Many thanx.
      Both are cordon plants. I suppose if you left them untended they would bush out but yields would be down as would fruit quality and the chance of pest damage would be HUGE
      Last edited by sewer rat; 16-01-2009, 05:44 PM.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tomatoes - cordon or bush

Thanks friends. If I go for these I shall do cordons. I picked those varieties because I thought they would be great on my new tomato bed. (I don't have a greenhouse). Over dinner I studied the catalogues deeply. One catalogue says they are outdoors - yes, you've guessed it -the other one has them in their greenhouse varieties. Aaaaaagh!!!
        They are going outside, whatever!

Comment

I grew money maker quite happily last year on the patio in pots ! Pretty good crop with all the rain !

Comment

not sure about tomatoes, but moneymaker cucumber is an outdoor variety ..... hopes that's vaguely relevent lol

Comment

Hi Everyone,
              Thanks for the excellent advise. I have decided to go for Shirley, and as space is short I shall do Tumbling tom 'cos I can put them in a hanging basket.
              Thanks again,
              Ann-the-nan.

================================================
              There's a pleasure sure in being mad that none but mad men know. (anon)

Comment

Shirley is almost certainly a greenhouse variety, although if you live in a warm area it may do ok outside.
                I wonder which catalogue it is saying 'bush' and 'outdoors'? I don't think I would trust their information at all, as that is 2 fairly major points to get wrong

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  Shirley is almost certainly a greenhouse variety, although if you live in a warm area it may do ok outside.
                  I wonder which catalogue it is saying 'bush' and 'outdoors'? I don't think I would trust their information at all, as that is 2 fairly major points to get wrong
                  I am growing Shirley F1 tomatoes again this year and at £4.50 a packet for twelve seeds I won't be doing any experimenting!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Think I might try some with my £10 voucher. (And see if I can unhybridize them!)
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      Think I might try some with my £10 voucher. (And see if I can unhybridize them!)
                      They're a really good tomato, but, I grew Tamina alongside last year and OH (the tom taster of the family) had trouble telling the difference. They were only 69p a packet from T&M last year, not an F1, and not all ready in one go.
                      So, I've got a few Shirley left, and a few Tamina, and I'll be trialling them next to each other again. If I get the same results, I'll scrap ShirleyF1

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advise. If Shirleys really ARE greenhouse, the I an in trouble 'cos I don't have one. Therefore, what's the best cordon to grow outside?

Comment

I bought Moneymaker to grow outside this year. My mum grew it outside when I was younger, however it can also be grown in a greenhouse too! Fingers crossed it's ok! I also bought 100s and 1000s for a hanging basket and large pots.
                          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X