Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smartening up onions for show

Hi fellow growers,
    I'm entering various veg into my local horticutural show on Sat 2nd Sept so this is urgent!
    The onions I've seen in other shows all look so pristine and polished -the tops of the onions look tucked in and neat and tidy - tied (with string - or with the onion stem itself?) with no papery bits sticking out. Has anyone out there 'shown' onions and can advise how to make them look glamorous?

Hoping to hear from you,

Best wishes,

Composta

...and I'm no help because I don't understand the point in growing tasteless show specimens that are not for eating.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzDuke View Post
      ...and I'm no help because I don't understand the point in growing tasteless show specimens that are not for eating.
      I am afraid you are wrong there.....the large onions that I grow are really tasty specimens
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I should add that I grow large onions for the table only....not for showing
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Composta you need to cut the tops off the onions and leave about an inch attached to the onion. Fold this over and then bind it with a thin piece of raffia. It's damned fiddley to do so don't do it at the last minute! You should have already removed any flaking onion skin - but be careful if you do this at the last minute because you will end up with a white onion! Make sure the roots are clean but don't get the onion wet so close to the show and trim any really long ones so that they are tidy. Cut rings off an empty kitchen roll and stand your onions on these because you can present them better. I hope that helps and good luck for Saturday!
          [

Comment

Smartening up onions

Thanks Lesley for your helpful reply - I'm not sure if we have any raffia in the house but I'll have a look!

To the other respondents so far who were a bit anti the idea of showing produce - I grow veg for the thrill of it and for eating - not for whoppers. But it's nice being part of the local horticultural society and helping to make their shows interesting with my produce. The public come in to these events (partly for the homemade tea and cake!) and often end up joining the club.

Cheers,

Composta

Comment

Composta I love showing vegetables especially when I win! Good luck on Saturday!
              [

Comment

Originally posted by Composta View Post
                Thanks Lesley for your helpful reply - I'm not sure if we have any raffia in the house but I'll have a look!

To the other respondents so far who were a bit anti the idea of showing produce - I grow veg for the thrill of it and for eating - not for whoppers. But it's nice being part of the local horticultural society and helping to make their shows interesting with my produce. The public come in to these events (partly for the homemade tea and cake!) and often end up joining the club.

Cheers,

Composta
                Good luck on Saturday

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X