Kale Konundrum?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale Konundrum?

I have four different species of kale growing (what posessed me I'll never know?)

One kind is approximately 3'0" high looks very healthy but I haven't got a clue either how to pick it(little and often I would assume!) or how to cook it?

Can I just use the lower leaves like spring cabbage? It seems to be sending out side shoots as well, can I use these somehow?

I snapped some of the lower leaves off to let in a bit of light and air and they seemed very tender. The mid ribs seemed tender also, can I use these steamed and dipped in butter?

I was originally after curly Kale, which I adore but seem to have every other species instead!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

It happens.
    Steam.
    Yes.
    Sounds good to me.
    Your still a winner

Does that answer your questions
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
      It happens.
      Steam.
      Yes.
      Sounds good to me.
      Your still a winner

Does that answer your questions
      Yep

I got a popup saying my message was too short!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sounds about right to me. Love the stuff. I found that as time went on I lost the lower leaves but once I started picking around the crown the plants started putting out small side growths which were so succulent they only needed blanching (well pouring boiling water on and then draining).
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Is it worth nipping the top out to force the growth of tender side shoots methinks?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Is it worth nipping the top out to force the growth of tender side shoots methinks?
            Could nip the tops if the plants are a reasonable size, no harm trying. I love curly kale, and the guinea pigs eat any leaves that are a bit past it

Comment

Once again methinks it's experimentation time! I've got plenty, so I'll nip the top out of half and re-evaluate at the end of season, which worked best!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Let us know how the experiment goes Snadger, getting good info from other folks experiences is always useful!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

the best original style curly kale Ive found is winterbour

Comment

My black Kale is starting to do an impression of sprouting brocolli!

As it's a winter vegetable I asumed it would carry on as it has, producing leaves, and I fully intended giving it a feed with sulphate of ammonia along with my spring cabbage to encourage growth.

It now appears to be going to seed and is sending florets out a la brocoli!

Must admit they look quite tasty and I will probably crop a few this week and have them for my supper with butter and black pepper!!!.

Anyone on here grown the Black Tuscan Kale before and is this quite normal for this time of year?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Have you got a picture Snadger? We fancy trying to grow Black Kale this year. So can you eat the 'faux-broccoli' bits then?
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I grow the black kale (actually v.dark green, boo) but mine isn't bolting yet...
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

sweated until wilted,add a knob of butter ,pre fried lardons and atouch of garlic......scrummy
                          i did some with roast pheasant yesterday for dinner,it went down a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by trousers View Post
                            sweated until wilted,add a knob of butter ,pre fried lardons and atouch of garlic......scrummy
                            i did some with roast pheasant yesterday for dinner,it went down a treat.
                            Sounds good to me.!!! I'm sure I've got a pheasant in the bottom of the freezer somewhere but will probably make do with the lardons and some buttered crusty bread with it! Mmmmm

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              My black Kale is starting to do an impression of sprouting brocolli!

As it's a winter vegetable I asumed it would carry on as it has, producing leaves, and I fully intended giving it a feed with sulphate of ammonia along with my spring cabbage to encourage growth.

It now appears to be going to seed and is sending florets out a la brocoli!

Must admit they look quite tasty and I will probably crop a few this week and have them for my supper with butter and black pepper!!!.

Anyone on here grown the Black Tuscan Kale before and is this quite normal for this time of year?
                              What did the sprouting shoots taste like?? My Black Kale has starting going to seed as well. According to the packet your supposed to harvest them up to January so I suspect it is normal for them to go to seed about now.
                              George the Pigman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X