Cuttung Down Asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttung Down Asparagus

My asparagus ferns are starting to yellow and it will soon be time to cut them back. A few of the crowns are still sending out the odd new spear.

Am I right in assuming that these should be taken off at the same time?
    Last edited by snuffer; 13-11-2008, 10:27 AM. Reason: correct typo
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Sorry can't help to answer your question, but in the spring I am going to get some crowns - could you recommend any particular varieties?!

Comment

Hi emilymup. The variety I have been growing is called Gijnlim. Can't say how it compares to others because it is the only type I've grown. The crowns I planted in spring have done brilliantly. Not one failed to send up spears.

If your interested I bought them mail order from New Park Farm Asparagus

The crowns were very big and healthy and I would reccomend them to anyone.
      It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Do you cut down asparagus fern? Or are the like rhubarb and the stems nourish the plant as they die?

Comment

Hi Snuffer,

I'd suggest taking everything out - one of the best reasons to try and remove everything is so that you're taking away any possible lodging places for asparagus beetle. These guys can otherwise overwinter in the stems and make an early start on yr plant.
          Douglas

Website: www.sweetpeasalads.co.uk - starting up in 2013 (I hope!)
          Twitter: @sweetpeasalads

Comment

Indeed, Douglas is right, cut down everything and burn it. ..little blighters!

They shouldn't really be resprouting now though...maybe they are a bit confused if you only planted them this year !!

leave 3 or 4" on stem so you can locate the crowns, mark and female plants(if you intent to replace them) and weed bed carefully by hand; then mulch to stem tops with seaweed, well rotted muck or leafmould.

Happy crowns for winter,

Then in early Spring dust with blood fish and bone and salt (oz per sqare yard) to wake them up...then lots of delicious spears covered in butter and lemon

Happy gardener for spring!

Comment

Really not sure and I have the same "problem". It's due to the freaky weather. You do need to cut down all the dead or dying ferns, but I'm going to leave my new shoots. They should in a "normal" year have had a good frost by now and be ready for hibernating through the winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X