Moving strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving strawberries

This year I have grown some perpetual fruiting strawberries (Mara des Bois) in a strawberry growbag. They have done well but I want to move them on to a raised bed on my allotment. I would like some advice as to when I could do this and should I cut off all the foliage before doing so. At the moment it is still producing strawberries.

September or April are your best times.
    It's really getting too cold to move them now.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i hope not two sheds, i've just bought a load of plants

Comment

I hope not too, I was going to get some at lunchtime I saw someone planting them last weekend on their lottie. Are we a bit warmer in the south east perhaps?

Comment

I hope not too,I'm just waiting for strawberry Alice to come.

Comment

I read in a gardening mag that October/November was a good time to plant them so they had time to settle in before winter came. Not sure it it was Garden News, GYO, Kitchen Gardener or Grow It but it was in the last month that I got this mag/paper!

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I think I shall take your advice Two Sheds and wait until Spring to move them although now i have decided that they are going to be moved, it is going to be hard to resist the urge !

Comment

You can always over-winter your new strawberry plants in a cold greenhouse or a coldframe.

Personally, my ground feels too cold and too wet to be planting into (except broad beans, and they're tough as old boots)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Where did you get your Mara des Bois perpetuals from Woofster?

Comment

ive just planted all my fruit bushes yesterday, and covered them with fleece, the strawberries will have to go in, so fingers crossed ....... is it worth covering them with fleece and polythene?? or will just the fleece be ok?

Comment

I got my Mara des Bois from Ken Muir, Wellie. They are lovely - they have alpine strawberry in their make up and they have a beautiful deep red colour as well as a strong strawberry taste.
                      I have had problems in the past with strawberries in the greenhouse over winter, Two Sheds. I seem to get a lot of mould. My green house has two automatic vents and I try to remember to open the door if it is very warm.( I have given up with bubblewrap insulation and use a minigreenhouse inside the greenhouse itself for seedlings etc.) I am planning to give it an extra thorough wash soon with a power washer borrowed from my neighbour and maybe burn a sulphur candle like Bunny Guiness mentioned recently in GQT. Maybe that will do the trick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X