Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving green tomatoes from blight

Hi all,
    I still have some green tomatoes and am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent them getting blight - some of the crop is already affected, what I would like to know is does that mean they are all doomed, so admit defeat, dont waste time trying. Or perhaps whilst there are no obvious signs of damage could I bottle/chutney the green ones ? Would removing foliage help to get the spores away from the fruits, or is the damage done even if I cant see it yet... And so on.
    I hate the thought of dumping them all in the bin, but I can be brave if I have to !
    Ali
    odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
    http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Once you've got it there is little chance you can save the plant. I recommend picking the unaffected tomatoes and then burning the remainder or if your council have industrial composters then put the them in the garden waste bin.

There are plenty of recipes for green tomatoes, I curried mine.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

blight

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
      Once you've got it there is little chance you can save the plant. I recommend picking the unaffected tomatoes and then burning the remainder or if your council have industrial composters then put the them in the garden waste bin.

There are plenty of recipes for green tomatoes, I curried mine.
      I wouldn't put in in the council composters because they share that round to different allotments and they get it then

Comment

I gave up with my lot I'm still ripening in the window and some have gone red that way, out of the ones I've saved if any remain green I'll make a relish with.
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by jess63 View Post
          I wouldn't put in in the council composters because they share that round to different allotments and they get it then
          Yes, but the council composters get up to amazing temperatures which kills the spores.

Comment

Pick the green ones now and make chutney a.s.a.p. I made the mistake of saving a few of the biggest green ones hoping to be able to ripen them, but after a few days the dreaded blight patches appeared on them so they were wasted. Could have had a couple more jars of chutney from them!!
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful replies. As it seems it is okay to cook with them before the obvious signs appear, I shall start looking out for recipes at once ! Curried is a good idea...
              odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
              http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Comment

I have just made chutney out of 3lbs of my green toms that hadn't ripened and got a total of 3.5 litres of the stuff and will be leaving them to mature for two months so they will be ready for christmas, although it smells good enough to eat now
                The Weeds are Winning...

Sleep just let me Sleep...

Comment

Pick them then keep them somewhere dark, preferably with a ripening piece of fruit(bananas are best), they will turn red.
                  Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison Adams View Post
                    Thanks for all the helpful replies. As it seems it is okay to cook with them before the obvious signs appear, I shall start looking out for recipes at once ! Curried is a good idea...
                    This is the curry recipe I tried, I froze what I couldn't eat.

Green Tomatoes with Indian Spices Recipe | Recipezaar
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                      Pick them then keep them somewhere dark, preferably with a ripening piece of fruit(bananas are best), they will turn red.
                      Sorry, I did that and mine didn't turn red, just blotchy brown! I think once the blight is in the system, that's it, that's why I suggested using them all up as soon as possible.
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

we had the blight at our lottie,i took of all the large green toms,within a couple of days the had got it,a carrier bag 3/4 full,so all had to be burned,i was cross,some of them were san marzano and a it had a fairly big heavy crop,but there you go,had no choice.
                        Last edited by lottie dolly; 27-09-2008, 08:55 PM.
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I think I may have blight on my plants but would like confirmation. The plants, all in a grow bag started dying from the bottom. The leaves have all wilted and it is steadily creeping up the plant although at the moment the top halves of the plants look healthy.

The tomatos in the affected area are turning a darkish black.

I havent had blight on my plants before so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comment

sounds like davec
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Yes, sounds like blight.

Did the tomatoes look like this?

Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X