Great cake to use up some plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great cake to use up some plums

I made this tonight to try and use up some plums. I made up 3 times the amount and baked it in a couple of large trays. It tastes fantastic, lovely and moist and moreish.

Plum & Cinnamon Cake

225g (8oz) self-raising flour
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    100g (3.5oz) baking margarine
    50g (2oz) sultanas
    50g (2oz) soft brown sugar plus 2 tblsp for sprinkling
    2 large eggs
    4 tblsp golden syrup
    225g (8oz) plums, stoned and chopped

Preheat oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
    Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin.
    Rub the flour, half the cinnamon and the margarine together.
    Add the sultanas and 50g (2oz) brown sugar and stir.
    Beat eggs and syrup together in a separate bowl, add plums, then stir into flour mixture.
    Transfer to tin and level surface.
    Mix rest of brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of cake mixture.
    Cook in centre of oven for 45-50 mins and then test. It should be risen and just firm to the touch when cooked.
    Cut into squares to eat.

Sounds lovely, would it work with apples do you think? I'm running out of ideas to use up my cooking apples.

Comment

I think it would be lovely with apples.

Comment

Sounds great, do you think it would freeze OK? I've got lots of plums to use up, but can't eat cake EVERY meal for the next few weeks......
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I can recommend this, I made it today and my diet has been forgotten. I will try it tomorrow with apples. What about apricots, peaches, pears!!?? Yummmmm!

Comment

I made another double batch at the weekend. Let it cool, cut into squares and in the freezer, lovely stuff. Going to do some with apples this week, peaches and pears would be lovely too.

Comment

This sounds good, I have a load of apples given to me yesterday, so will have a go with apples instead and let you know the result.

Comment

I made a triple batch of this yesterday. I didn't have enough plums so made up the shortfall with apples, really good, yum!

Comment

Sounds lovely. Wish I'd seen this earlier, as I've stewed most of the bag of plums given to us from my mother-in-law. I pureed the rest for baby food for my 4 month old son.

I've still got a load of lovely eating apples to use up though. Will be trying it tomorrow!

Thank you x

Comment

I tried it with apples, delicious and so easy.
                    Thanks Amanda for the recipe.

Liz

Comment

Yes, thanks Amanda!

I used the recipe today, adapted a little, used eating apples instead of plums (as mentioned earlier), raisins instead of sultanas (didn't have sultanas!), used a little less sugar/syrup, and 3 little eggs instead of 2 big uns (lovely free range ones from my neighbour) and made muffins instead of a cake (haven't got a nice tray bake size tin yet!).......

They were GORGEOUS!

Thanks for sharing x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X