lime

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lime

We've tested the pH on our allotment and realised we need to apply lime. A couple of questions. When is the best time to apply it to veg beds?
    Also, when should we apply it to the permanent beds where we have raspberries, gooseberries etc?

A couple of thoughts.
    1) does your WHOLE allotment need lime? In other words, different parts are likely to have different pHs

2) not all plants like lime. Spuds hate it.

anyway, this link might help you: Garden Lime - the vital fertiliser. Why lime, how much to lime and when to lime
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by lego View Post
      We've tested the pH on our allotment and realised we need to apply lime. A couple of questions. When is the best time to apply it to veg beds?
      Also, when should we apply it to the permanent beds where we have raspberries, gooseberries etc?
      just a warning, if you tested using one of those probe things, they aren't very accurate, according to the one i bought, apparently my soil is made completely of neat acid by the way, i also tested my tap water, and that's neat acid too
      Last edited by lynda66; 30-08-2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I lime before brassicas. I did lime all beds before planting out in spring but then I had random spuds growing and they then got a bit scabby. So, just before brassicas seems to work.

On another note, if you do test the ground, make sure you get a sample from each bed, made up of soil from at least 3 places on each bed and test each separately. Otherwise you may end up with skewed results. And always test tap water against it so that you can calibrate it [much as Lynda mentions, if it is the same reading as the tap water then you've got nothing to worry about].
        Last edited by zazen999; 30-08-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          [much as Lynda mentions, if it is the same reading as the tap water then you've got nothing to worry about].
          unless it says you have neat acid

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X