Pears

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pears

I have inherited some pear trees. One of them fruits well but the pears never seem to ripen even after storage. I have no what vareity they are. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do with them apart from add them to my ever increasing compost heaps (4 to date)
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Hello Roitelet, sorry to disappointent you but no pear expert here. My father in law had a pear tree in his garden. It was a wild pear and maybe that is what you have. The blossom was magnificent and pears by the ton, BUT, totally inedible even after cooking. Great for the birds though. All it was possible to do with that tree was enjoy the glory of it. I suspect you have to enjoy the glory of your tree - or make way for something else.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice
      hese are not wild pears as they were planted against the house as they do in Normandy. Even if I can never do anything with the pears I will keep them as they are traditional and I do enjoy them.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hello Roitelet, do keep us posted on how your gardening goes in Normandy. I think L J put a section under weather for members on the European continent. I spent March, April and May in Brittany last year - now there's a climate to garden in. The spring weather was fabulous, but, overall, the west of Scotland is the place for me. But really intreresting to see what difference geographical location and local practises make.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi roitelet, maybe you could try poaching them in some of the plentiful wine you must have in your region?
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Delia's Christmas book has a recipe for pickled pears that I make with fairly hard pears so it might work with unripe ones. If you're interested I'll hunt it out for you.

Comment

Yes please blackkitty,
              A recipe would be good. I am fed up with having to consign then to the compost

Comment

Hi Roitelet, there's a nice recipe for poached pears on the BBC food website (see link below) it should work with hard or under-ripe pears if you just simmer them a bit longer at the beginning until they are soft.
                www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/pearspoachedinrosema_8633.shtml
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks SueA

Interesing website. I'm a bit new to this internet thingy, especially in French! I will leave the pears for a bit longer and look forward to experimenting with some of the recipies in the cold wet days of winter.

Comment

Here we go, Delia Smith's Spiced Pickled Pears
                    1kg (2lb) pears (she says the smallest hardest ones you can find)
                    350g (12oz) light brown sugar
                    375ml (10 fl oz) white wine vinegar
                    275ml (10fl oz) cider vinegar
                    7.5cm (3 inch) piece cinnamon stick broken into three pieces
                    1/2 lemon cut into thin slices
                    1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
                    1 level teaspoon juniper berries
                    1 level dessertspoon mixed pepper berries

Place everything accept the pears in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil. While this is happening, peel the pears. (she leaves them whole but I often cut them in halves or even quarters as I find they fit in the jars better) place in cold water as you peel them. When all the sugar has dissolved in the vinegar, drain the pears and place in the saucepan, simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the feel tender when tested witha skewer and look slightly transperant. Transfer the pears and lemon slices to sterilized jars using a slotted spooon. Boil the syrup furiously untill it is reduced and syrupy (about 25 minutes) - I always find this takes longer than I think it will. Pour the syrup over the pears and add the spices to the jar as well. Keep for 1 month before using.
                    Delia says they keep for 6 months, I've kept them for a lot longer and they've just got better.
                    I've also made this using red wine vinegar instead of white and have left out the juniper berries to no great detriment.

Comment

Thanks blackkitty. Have tried this today and it was incredibly easy. Looks pretty good too. Had to vary the vinegar as i didn't have cider vinegar wo will let you know if it works.
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I'm going to have a go at that to, sounds like ideal christmas pressies!!
                        Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

Are these then served as a dessert? I thought so, apart from the vinegar bit, which made me wonder whether it was a cold meat accompaniment, or similar.

Comment

our pears are just the same, two verieties, masses of fruit, never fully ripen. we make very nice perry out of them.
                            Yo an' Bob
                            Walk lightly on the earth
                            take only what you need
                            give all you can
                            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
                              our pears are just the same, two verieties, masses of fruit, never fully ripen. we make very nice perry out of them.
                              yoanbob, any hints on how to make perry.

We are trying cider for the first time and are a bit unsure how it will turn out . Did you add yeast or hope the naturally present stuff would be sufficient? If you did add yeast what variety did you add?

Also we have been washing and removing bugs, bad and mouldy bit etc so it's a pretty slow process - are we bing over sensitive? Will a bit of added protein and some earwig poo really change the final taste?

Any help would be appreciated .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X