seedless grapes....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seedless grapes....

i'd love to give grapes a try, but i only like seedless ones, and i've never seena seedless grapevine. ideally i'd like to grow one from seed, but i'm guessing if i use a seed, it'll be a seeded variety?? i'm so new to all this, it's scary! if anyone knws of a variety, where do i get either a vine cutting or a packet of seeds. thanks for any help. xxxx

I would have thought that a grape from seed could have very unpredictable characteristics, depending upon it's parents, since each seed is a genetic individual. If it grew from a seed, I'd expect it to produce seeds itself. I would have though that grafting or cuttings would be the most likely way to get a specific variety of grape with known characteristics for coulour/flavour/seedless and so on.
    Grapes in the UK require a warm, sunny spot and the South or South-Eastern areas are likely to get the best results. You'll need either a very warm South-facing wall that gets lots of sun, or a greenhouse.
    They can require quite a lot of attention to get the best from them. They are also extremely vigorous.

FB

Comment

Seedless grapes are obtained when the plant is tricked into not producing seeds by making it think it has already does so
      Text Site | Out There | Food Technology | Seedless Grapes
      It's sprayed with a hormone (why you should always wash grapes - not that I do...)

Comment

It is a rather complicated and big subject, you get seedless fruit in a number of ways, from seed grown plants.

But, as said, you want a grafted grape, seedless or not, for plenty of reasons, like size, early fruiting, disease resistance, etc.

Quite a few available. I should have a rather good link in my very untidy favourites, just the finding it.

Have a look around in the mean time.

Comment

Fear not Liz 89, Just click on to readsnursery.co.uk and you can find whatever you want.
          Good luck.
          Tomas.

Comment

Sorry, Liz, I forgot...

Seedless Grapes - Joan Morgan's Fruit Forum

Comment

I grow Himrod, it's a very small outdoor seedless white grape. Mine have swelled nicely, about the size of my thumbnail, but could do with a little more time as the skins are still a bit bitter, but the insides are sweetening nicely. I've kept the same one going through taking cuttings for the past 12 years as we've moved around. It did ripen quicker in the greenhouse of my first house, but since then it's had to make do with outside. I tend to think the end of Sept for them to be ripe, so still a couple more weeks to go, but some sun helps!
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X