Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to plant chillies and raspberry canes.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to plant chillies and raspberry canes.

I think I need to plant out my chillies - they are about 18 inches tall and I am running out of room in my green house.

Am I OK to put them outside in the ground? If so do they need a lot of sun or shade? Or am I best moving things around in the green house and trying to get them in the green house border?

My mum has given me about 20 raspberry canes and told me to plant them somewhere sunny. Do they definitely need lots of sun or will they be OK in the shade? I am running out of room and the only place I have room is a shady area.

I have pumpkins taking up a lot of room which I could move - would they be OK in the shade?

Thanks guys,

Caroline

I'm not far from you and I have some chillies which are producing in the garden border in a slightly sheltered and sunny spot. However, these plants are much smaller than the ones in my greenhouse or the few I've kept for the kitchen window ledge (these are smaller types anyway). Maybe if you need more room then you could put them in pots so that they could move outside when it's nice and then you could find space inside if the weather was bad and later in the season?

Re the raspberry canes, mine produce well in a partially shaded spot. They're pretty easy to grow and if you've got nowhere else then it's probably worth a try.

Where are your pumpkins at the moment, they do take up a lot of space. Mine are crawling all over the place through various borders in the garden. All in pretty sunny spots though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My chillis are in the garden and they are in partial shade,( in the morning sun, afternoon shade) and they are doing great. They are about 2 foot tall with lots of green chillis on them. They have been in for two weeks now.
      I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

The raspberry canes should be ok in a partially shaded spot - they are a woodland plant really - but you'll get quicker ripening & slightly better flavoured fruit if they get sun for part of the day. As for your chillis, I'd agree with Alison - put them into bigger pots if you can & just dot them around the garden wherever you've got space. Then they can be brought back in if bad weather threatens. We're forecast a drop to 5°c overnight here next week, which is a bit chilly for chillis

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X