Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries

I have started picking the raspberries but I'm not sure of the right way to do it. Do you pull them off the stalk or take the whole lot? Are the white bits inside normal? I think I found a pale salmon pink grub but then dropped it, I'm guessing this is bad.

Advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by trebellangeminired; 13-07-2008, 10:22 PM.
    TGR

"Do you pull them off the stalk or take the whole lot?"

I leave the stalk bit on the plant.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

i remember going out picking raspberries when i was a kid, and we always took them home, and soaked them for a few hours so the maggots came out

Comment

you've prob. got raspberry beetle (I get it every year. I don't spray, I just give the odd maggoty fruits to the blackbirds).

Rotenone* (Bio Liquid Derris Plus* or Vitax Derris Dust*) can be used to control raspberry beetle. Spray or dust raspberries when the first fruits are seen, with a second application two weeks later. Apply in the evening when bees are not active on the flowers.

*Rotenone/derris-based products are being withdrawn from sale in September 2008 (date to be confirmed). Gardeners can use up rotenone/derris-based products for 12 months after the last selling date.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Organic control (I know Derris is 'organic' but it still kills bees) :- Regular hoeing of the soil around the canes during the summer will unearth any pupae, which will be eaten by birds, esp if you throw down a few sultanas as a starter.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks peeps! Don't mind feeding birds but would hate to kill bees. Will go for hoeing.

TGR
            TGR

Comment

Spraying in the evening is unlikely to kill bees - they will have gone to bed.

(Not spraying = better still, of course, but just in case "needs-must" ...)
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

SIL and BIL came round tonight. She said the white bits are just undeveloped seed and the grub was definately what two sheds said, thank you again folks.
                TGR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X