Something is eating my apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is eating my apples

I've noticed a number of damaged apples on one particular tree (I think it's Discovery). Last year the birds pecked a few and then the wasps got busy, but this year it looks as if the fruits have been nibbled away, almost as if they were being eaten from the inside. The flesh is almost completely gone, just leaving a 'shell'.

So who's been at them? I've noticed we've now got a squirrel visiting the garden, do they eat fruit? Or can it be mice? The nibble marks would suggest I can't blame the birds this year.

Any ideas?
    Growing in the Garden of England

My money would be on the meeces!
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

From the inside? Could it be Codling Moth maggots? Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Codling Moth

Or tree-climbing mice, perhaps. Tree rats? (aka squirls)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks both, I don't think it could be codling moth maggots as the damage is too great - I am left with what looks like an apple hanging on the tree on one side, but when you look at the other side it is hollowed out! So,how to stop the squirrels getting them....
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Could still be birds. I've seen my Bramleys eaten like this by Starlings, though they usually wait until they're on the ground first. I don't think I've ever seen a the squirrels in our fruit trees, but that may be because there are plenty of nuts (and bird feeders) about.

Mark
          http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
          http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

After researching the internet for the last 20 mins there could be several culprits.
            Apparently mice and squirrels normally only eat stored fruit or the bark of young trees.
            The other culprits could be Voles,Rats,Foxes,Badgers,Doormice or even Deer!!
            Last edited by Cloud; 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM. Reason: Cos I'm old
            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X