Rhubarb harvesting question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb harvesting question

Is rhubarb one of those plants that will produce more the more you take from it?

I ask because I had a large crown of rhubarb given to me 2 years ago which was planted for 1 year before being moved again last year. So last year it didn't do much and I didn't take any from it. Early this year I split the crown because I wanted to move it to yet another spot but didn't want to do the whole lot in case it objected to so much moving around. As it turns out, the moved bit is absolutely romping away and the original bit is fading away!
    I wasn't planning on taking anything from either of them this year to let them settle but the moved plant is doing so incredibly well I'm very tempted to. And I'm trying to persuade myself that it needs a little light harvesting in order to thrive more.....

Originally posted by busylizzie View Post
    I wasn't planning on taking anything from either of them this year to let them settle but the moved plant is doing so incredibly well I'm very tempted to. And I'm trying to persuade myself that it needs a little light harvesting in order to thrive more.....
    It shouldn't do any harm to take a few stalks from the plant this year, but not too many, so that it can build up it's reserves for next season.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
      It shouldn't do any harm to take a few stalks from the plant this year, but not too many, so that it can build up it's reserves for next season.
      Agreed, but just try not to move it again for a few years. Let it settle down
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X