Calabrese - when to pick

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabrese - when to pick

I have some calabrese that are coming along nicely and I am wondering how long to leave the head before I pick i.e. how big should it grow. The largest is the size of a small fist.

I picked my first couple when they got to the size you find in the shops... I had five altogether that were sown / planted out at the same time and were ready within days of each other. The last couple I picked had started to separate out (hope that makes sense) and I think it's better to pick before that happens.
    pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

i reckon, when they start to look like they are supposed to, even if small, and when temptation gets too much to bear, you should eat at least one ..... just to try it

Comment

Thanks for that. I think we will be having calabrese for dinner tomorrow !

Comment

Pick the heads when they are tight - if you leave them too long the tiny green flowers will start to open and seperate. They may not get to the size in the supermarket but you should get them to the palm of your hand.
          Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X