Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots

hi all,
    i planted a lot of carrots in pots from seed in early march,as i am new to all this growing lark,yes they are doing welland it seems like a life time since i planted them,can anybody tell me if they are ready for pulling as some of the leafs are going yellow fom a loverly green colour,the variety im growing are early nantes

Finney

Have carrott fly got into them I would pull up the yellow ones.

Marion

Comment

kitty i dont know i dont even know what carrot fly looks like,i hope not coz its been great seeing something i planted as seed,and that you can eat

finney

Comment

I've got a packet of early Nantes and was wondering if there is still time to sow. I'm up in Cumbria what do people think?

Comment

i sowed carrots for the first time last year and had exactly the same problem....carrot fly!
          I'm growing in a raised bed 3 foot high this time.

Comment

I'd pull a few and see what's going on underneath the soil.
            Carrot fly looks like tiny maggots which have tunnelled out holes in your carrots.
            You may be lucky and they are ready for pulling!
            Let us know how you get on!

Seaweed Jack.....I'd sow now and pick them smallish in the autumn.I'm going to sow our 2nd batch in a couple of weeks under fleece to keep off carrot fly and retain the soil moisture. North Cheshire and Cumbria aren't so far apart!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

nico,
              pulled a few lastnight they looked ok,i ate them and i feel fine today

Comment

Are carrot fly still bad in a garden protected by 6ft fences all the way around, I understand they fly close to the ground and was wondering if this would act as a deterrant?

Comment

Originally posted by finney View Post
                  nico,
                  pulled a few lastnight they looked ok,i ate them and i feel fine today

FANTASTIC!!!!!! yey!!

Bassman...nope- they get wafted over the tops of high fences by wind eddies

Sorry to be a bringer of bad news!!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                    Are carrot fly still bad in a garden protected by 6ft fences all the way around, I understand they fly close to the ground and was wondering if this would act as a deterrant?
                    i have a courtyard and thought the same last year; the whole lot got eaten. by courtyard, it's behind out house with six foot fences and other [non veg growing] gardens to each side and a 8 foot high, 16 foot deep wide garage that blocks the whole courtyard off. We have to go through the garage to get out, but it would seem that the carrot fly can just fly straight in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X