Growing Pumpkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Pumpkins

If i plant pumkins all over my weedy allotment will it help to clear it..the same way potatos do??
    Last edited by The Germinator; 01-06-2008, 09:12 AM.
    Dead or alive your going on the heap

They don't clear a plot, as such. What they do, with their large leaf canopy, is shade out weeds and stop them growing as well as they might otherwise do.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ditto what T_S says
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I have 2 pumpkin plants growing in a compost bag. The leaves are pretty large (although some have grey/brown rough spots all over them). There are a number of small flower pods in the centre. Should I thin out the leaves? Should I feed them?

Comment

I tried that last year and it does suppress the weeds.I found butternuts better grown under sweetcorn to keep the weeds down.
          Last edited by T.Austin; 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM.
          Reap what you Sow

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMC View Post
            I have 2 pumpkin plants growing in a compost bag. The leaves are pretty large (although some have grey/brown rough spots all over them). There are a number of small flower pods in the centre. Should I thin out the leaves? Should I feed them?
            Pumpkins are big plants ~ mine need about 3ft each. You've got two in one bag?

No, don't thin out the leaves until the fruit is ripening (late summer).

Yes, feed it a tomato-type (high potash) feed once a week when the fruits are formng.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X