Slugs eating my courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs eating my courgettes

About 2 weeks ago I planted 6 courgette plants outside on my allotment. When I returned 1 week later, all the plants had been eaten. I thought that the pigeons had got at them as I used loads of organic slug pellets( the ones that look like cat litter), however upon closer inspection I could see the tell tale slug trails all over what was left of the plants. I've now had to buy some new plants to replace the old ones and obviously don't want a repeat performance, so what can I do to protect my plants????

Try and plant bigger courgettes. Grow them on a bit in pots before you plant them out. The slugs go for the really tender seedlings, they don't prefer older, bigger, tougher plants.
    You could also have a go with your Search button ~ there are loads of posts in the archives on how to deal with slugs and snails.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i have courgettes and lots of slugs! i've found what works is covering them with a plastic bottle until they are really strong and healthy as two sheds said once they are older they don't seem to be attacked as much. also use the bottom of the bottle put in the ground and fill it with good old beer, weird to see them floating in there but better then living off your courgettes.

Comment

blue slug pellets under a piece of up-turned guttering will get em or try nemaslug for an organic solution

Comment

I keep poting mine on up to 12" pots, then put them out with flowers on. Works well for me.
          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

I go out every night when it gets dark - I've just come in - with the torch and a knife and do a slug "search and destroy job". A few weeks ago I was slaughtering dozens each evening, but I have now reached the stage where I rarely find any. I would never use the blue slug pellets, even if they are hidden, as the pellets do not instantaneously kill and the dying slugs can crawl about to be eaten by the good guys (birds, hedgehogs, toads and frogs) who are then liable to die themselves.
            Last edited by Tam; 25-05-2008, 10:28 PM. Reason: to make it comprehensible

Comment

I always pop a plastic cloche over courgettes (and cuc's and squashes) when I first plant them out - keeps them warm and moist, and slug free, until they are a good size - at least 2 proper leaves. Once that size nothing seems to bother them.

LCG

Comment

I cut a plastic bottle into 2/3" rings and put one round each plant, the sharp edge seems to deter them

Comment

Nematods/slugs are brilliant - we use them. They get delivered every 6 weeks so you dont even have to think about when you should be treating the plot. I also use "organic" (not sure they are) pellets which help.
                  Also clear up any rubbish - piles of leaves, debris etc i.e. anywhere where the slugs are likely to hide. I had much worse slug damage in the side borders as there was lots of cover for the nasty slimy things. Since learnt my lesson and religiously clean up. I was also advised, in winter, to turn over any bark chippings etc as this is where the slugs lay their eggs. Do it when there is a frost and you have some chance of freezing the things.
                  http://br3garden.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use nemaslug on my veg patch combined with a bit of ‘snail picking’ It doesn’t work on snails as the nematode parasites can’t seem to get into them. The huge slugs also need picking up to and it helps if you have a tidy garden. No lumps of wood lying about for them to lay eggs under.

For some who may not know much about Nemaslug – You are applying and so increasing the natural population of microscopic nematode worms that already exist in your soil. These worms predate on the smaller black slugs that live in the soil and come out to feed at night. Excellent product be you organic or not.

I bought Nemaslug from Superspray The Best Hose Accessory you'll ever own and bought a sprayer too so I can apply it by hose pipe. It saves a lot of time if you’re applying to large areas over a watering can and you can use it to apply liquid feed too. Basically anything you dilute and put into a bucket, this thing will spray. Even car shampoo. Just the job for a tenner
                    Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X