My sprouting broccoli leaves.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sprouting broccoli leaves.

I take it the leaves from my srouting broccoli can just be cooked up and eaten as spring greens once the plants stop producing yummy broccoli spurs?

Wren

Yes indeedy and jolly yummy they are too!!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Why not do as i do i eat the leave's mixed with the heads as well you just have to break the heads of a bit longer jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

well now .....following my non-sprouting white sprouting broccoli ... I am enjoying 'spring greens' each and every supper at the mo
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

What's a broccoli leaf? The pigeons have stripped mine
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine are looking drop dead gorgeous at the mo. In fact I was thinking of using a few in next week's flower arranging class!
            Last edited by Flummery; 18-04-2008, 09:12 AM. Reason: sp
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and i have been eating a mixture of the heads and smaller leaves Jacob, just wanted to check afor i ate the whole rest o the plant too .

i had forgotten about yours piskie..lol

Wren

Comment

I tried out some purple sprouting broccoli.. it's been in a windowbox style pot since August of last year. The plant never produced any broccoli, either not enough room for the roots or some other issue about being in a pot. I was planning on ripping it out and using the pot for something else this spring.. never realized I could eat the leaves! I don't feel that I've made a complete waste of my time now, and pleased that some use will come out of it after all.

Comment

I'm cooking sprouting broccoli and the leaves as I type to go with my smoked haddock.Despite the marathon growing time needed I think it's worth it and have sown seed for next years crop at the weekend.
                  Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
                    .....Despite the marathon growing time needed I think it's worth it and have sown seed for next years crop at the weekend.
                    hence I will only be growing it on lottie this year - last year I planted it in small veg plot in house garden ...and if it dunny sprout I'll blow the blighter away and feed it to the pigeons!!
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Or the bunnies they love it just as much!
                      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Considering some of us were contemplating pulling our PSB out only the other week because it wasn't producing anything. I for one am so glad I didn't. I picked a load today. Weighed it (yes I know sad that isn't it) and there was over 1kg.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SMS6; 26-04-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I planted out some white and claret sprouting broccoli plants too late last year (about end Sept - plants bought by mail order) and they look like small plants at the moment - about 30cm tall. If I leave them in, when should I expect them to produce the spears to eat? Will this become a "summer" crop?
                          Thanks for any advice.
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen11ian View Post
                            I tried out some purple sprouting broccoli.. it's been in a windowbox style pot since August of last year. The plant never produced any broccoli,
                            PSB is a big, hungry plant that needs really firm soil. It's really not suited to a windowbox.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X