peas and onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peas and onions

I have planted two rows of peas. one row is a tall variety (4') and the other shorter (18") Now that they are both up the gap seems rather bigger than it needs to be, about 18". I was wondering whether it might be possible to plant a row of onion sets between the two? I don't know how light sensitive onions are, but I don't suppose that they willbe in complete shade??
    Any advice please.
    Tx

I wouldn't do this.. i've read elsewhere here on GYO that onions and peas/beans don't grow well together (the opposite of companion planting). something to do with something on the onion roots which will make the peas/beans unhappy, although your onions will be fine. I dont know whether it would be possible to plant something else there instead. i know lettuces like some shade, especially at the height of summer, maybe for now some quick growing crops like radishes?

HTH

keth
    xx

Comment

Or some beetroot [sorry, but I love beetroot to distraction].

Agree with not putting onions in; as someone who changed their mind and moved a herd of onions out of my bean patch 2 weeks ago.

Comment

My companion planting guide says lettuce, carrots, spinanch but avoid all alliums and kales

Comment

I tried onions where I had beans and peas last year and they had to be moved to another area of the garden.

Comment

Kethry is right and the onions will not like the shade either.

I normally interplant with lettuce.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X