Carrots in Raised Beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots in Raised Beds

I have some carrots I want to sow in my raised beds but the sowing instructions dont tell you how much depth they need to growth to a decent size. I have linkabord raised beds.

I have the following varieties

Ideal - baby type - harvest 12-15 weeks
    Touchon - harvest july to december
    Early Nante 5 - can be harvested as baby veg
    Amsterdam Forcing - can be harvested as baby veg
    Carrot resistafly
    Rodelika - 12-18 weeks
    Paris Market Atlas
    Autumn King - harvest early summer

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

i have made raised beds using 9" scaffold boards and im growing carrots in them and expect that to be more than deep enough
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Linkabord are only 15cm deep thats about 6" - looks like I might have to double up which means losing a 1m x 0.5 bed which is the size I was going to put them in
      Last edited by Kimbo; 22-03-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Hi
        Are your linkaboards on soil or a hard base?

If soil, you can use a pokey method to get added depth. Using a crow bar, get down as far as you can; wiggle the crowbar to make a cone shaped hole and fill with sand or compost. Plant carrot seed x 3 in and leave well alone. If all 3 germinate, leave the strongest or harvest the weakest 2 when they are baby carrots and leave the strongest to grow to full potential.

If hard; you can use little raised beds to gain extra height and just sow some seeds in there; I made up foot wide wooden beds using wood from a reclaim yard, and filled it with sand and just deep dug that little patch to loosen the lower soil. Then, you don't loose the whole bed.

Or, you can grow carrots in deep containers; making life much easier.
        Last edited by zazen999; 22-03-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I have linkabord beds on soil and successfully grew Rainbow and Chantenay last year. I did pick the Rainbow before they got really big though.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I have linkabord to, although all mine except one are double height, I find it eaiser to use at 30cms height. You can sit down beside it and do the weeding & tending. And of course you don't have to worry about what veg types you put in them.
            I grew nantes last year with good results, I did pick most of them before they got too big as well. Had some left for Christmas day (yummy).
            Thanks Kathyrn

Comment

You would get away with Nante's carrots in 9" of soil but Autumn King maincrop carrots could grow quite a bit longer!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Last year was my first attempt at gardening but I was told about the crowbar method mentioned above. I had 6" high beds and had a good crop of various carrots. I think one of the tricks is using sand to fill the deep holes made with the crowbar.
                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by organicgal View Post
                  I have linkabord to, although all mine except one are double height, I find it eaiser to use at 30cms height. You can sit down beside it and do the weeding & tending. And of course you don't have to worry about what veg types you put in them.
                  I grew nantes last year with good results, I did pick most of them before they got too big as well. Had some left for Christmas day (yummy).
                  I have duly doubled up two of my 1m x 0.5mx 15cm linkabord beds and now have one 30cm deep. I will be sowing carrots later on and covering with fleece. Using up one of the beds wasnt too bad in the end as I didnt have to plant my onions in it due to finally getting round to finishing this morning what was going to be the fruit bed (one of those ongoing I will do it tomorrow projects) but now is part onion bed and getting the onions and shallots in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X