Any Grapes Drive a Smart car?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Grapes Drive a Smart car?

....... as my husband was wondering if you could give him some feedback.

His motability car is up for renewal and he is finding it very difficult to replace the current automatic with a full blown automatic, they seem to be these fancy multi something or other gearboxes which is fine if you can use a handbrake as they apparently roll back on a hill.

Anyway ........ we have been looking at the little Smart cars - Passion and Pulse (who names these things!). I don't think there is one up here in Shetland so we can't get a look, but was just wondering if any of you drove one and whether you are pleased with it, indifferent, etc. The only time we have seen them is normally bombing past us on the outside lane of the motorway!

Many thanks.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

I'm on my sixth smart

I've had 2 four-twos (tho they were called smart citys back then)
    A Crossblade (a four-two with no roof, windscreen and doors )
    And 3 roadsters.

Smart drivers (well the old school ones at least) are rather prone to 'bombing passed in the outside lane'. It's kind of a 'little car, big attitude' type thing.

All smarts have tiny turbo chargers which means you can take them to a place like Smarts-R-Us in Nottingham and have them chipped to go quicker

Smarts get a lot of bad press from auto journos. The types that use cut and paste journalism to great effect. Suppose it's becuase a Smart does not have a 'menancing stance' or 'purposefull body styling' and is a 'plastic toy car'.

The levels of safety kit on a stardard smart is excellent and it's plastic panels simply ping back into shape should someone gently bump you in the car park. You can take them off and swap colours with other owners or respray them easilly (smart actually has a comprehensive recycling program for them in France)

One suprising aspect of the FourTwo is how easy they are to get in and out of. The seats are high and leg room is excellent. Again Journos will knock the boot space. I had two cabrios. You can drop the roof down and stuff the back full of a weekly shop for two with ease. I have been known to transport large trees in the back of mine !

Then of course there's fuel economy and emmisions. Smart's sip fuel. Take a look at the new diesel coming soon.

Not been able to use the handbrake is not a problem. Smarts have 'Hill Assist'. Basically this momentarilly keeps the foot brake held on until the driver had shifted their foot to the accelerator. (Smarts have had this as standard for ages. Audi have just introduced it as a £50 option !)

Oh heck, I just realised I've written a small essay. Smart Geek or what.
    Best advice is to go have a play in one.. you'l rarely see a smart driver that isn't smiling

Comment

I will sing the Smarts praises all day long. I love them, great fun to drive.

That said, this was when we hired one in Santorini last year (see photos).

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...i/IMG_0985.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...i/IMG_0984.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...i/IMG_0987.jpg

Not entirely sure how happy I'd be to use one on UK roads, but I really enjoyed driving it, so easy to use and so much fun. You could easily get 3-4 bags of shopping in the "boot" and I'm sure a seasoned expert could squeeze in more. As for getting in and out...

As you probably know (I do go on about my defining feature) I'm 6ft 7 and I had no problems getting in and out, and found a comfortable driving position really easily - more so than in several "larger" cars I've tried in the past.

I've tried to persuade LadyWayne to get one instead of her current car, but she, like me occasionally needs to carry more than two people, and more often uses the car to carry more than the weeks shopping.

If it's just for a runabout though I'd say go for it!
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thank you so much both of you for those comments. Very interesting, particularly about the handbrake and also the getting in and out. It is just a for a runabout as I have the larger car, so it really sounds a good option.

Do you think a medium sized dog could sit in the back? She is used to small spaces!
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I bet the larger car gets left at home.

We have a Lexus RX400h and a Nissan 350z in our familly car pool.

I never get to drive my smarty as someone else always beats me to the keys

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
            Thank you so much both of you for those comments. Very interesting, particularly about the handbrake and also the getting in and out. It is just a for a runabout as I have the larger car, so it really sounds a good option.

Do you think a medium sized dog could sit in the back? She is used to small spaces!
            Have a quick look here: Smart Fortwo Coupé (04-07) Review - Parker's

Should give you pretty much all the facts/figures/pictures you need without getting off your bum.

As fun goes, I don't think I've had as much fun in anything else I've driven.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Smart Dogs on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

Oh 'eck

Picture 066 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

Biggles!!!!!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My OH got jealous of my British Racing Green MG F (which I adore!!), and went and got himself a Smart Roadster Coupe.

Its fab to drive, bit like a go-kart. Its really sticky round corners and goes like a rocket (we haven't even got a Brabus version).

My OH did spend a week trying to find the spare wheel, in the end he went on a forum and found out there isn't one, but there is a secret compartment under the carpet in the passenger footwell, which houses a puncture kit! Classic!

I thought my car was good for boot space (considering its mid engine), but you can pack a big weeks shop for 2 in the back with no trouble at all. The OH has even brought me back from the garden centre with the top down, and a 5 foot Bamboo plant between my knees!

Comment

Thanks for the link HW.

and I just love the photos Maf!
                      ~
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Servicing is a pain and costs a bomb I am told.

Also have they sorted the probelm with the glass roofs. The had probelms of the roofs shattering and the insurance would refuse to repalce it under the windscreen cover as it was a £1000 body pannel.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Don't drive a SMART car, but do drive a Prius. Hybrid - lovely car. Automatic and doesn't roll backwards when on a hill; I can't drive a manual myself either; due to the elbow injury. This one has a foot brake rather than a hand brake; and the little gearstick is tiny and you just need to nudge it to move it forwards or backwards.

Possibly a bit more expensive than a run about; but thought I would throw my little bit in.

Comment

Thanks Zazen - will have a look at that one.
                            ~
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X