Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks - What Next?

Hi

I sowed my leeks in 2 pots quite some time ago. They sprouted well and still look healthy, but do not appear to be getting any longer or thicker.

Should I just wait until they are "pencil thick" or should I move them on to a less crowded pot/s?

Pete
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; 17-05-2006, 04:04 PM.

Is it possible pete that they don't have enough space each? I did mine in modules and potted them on yesterday and they had a decent root on them. I would perhaps try picking out the ones you want to grow on and putting them in their own pot?

Comment

Yes Pete they definately need potting on.
      [

Comment

I'm glad you put a piccy in! Mine look like yours Pete so will pot them on chop chop!

Comment

I was just handed a bunch of leeks by myneighbour and they look the same as Petes. I thought at this size that they would be big enough to go in the ground...or do I need to put them into individual modules and leave them to grow a bit bigger.

I've never grown leeks before...how long does it take to get them on the plate?

Comment

pictures of my leeks....smaller ones are grown as standard...larger ones started last yeah to produce 'mammoth' specimins i hope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leek1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2317813

Click image for larger version

Name:	leek2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2317814
            Last edited by Geordie; 17-05-2006, 09:22 PM.
            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Show off!!!

No actually - I'm very impressed and hope I can get my leeks to that size!

Comment

When you transplant leeks into the ground all you need to do is make a hole with a dibber (technical term!) so 75% of leek is below ground, put leek in the hole and fill with water. Do not fill the hole with soil.....the continual filling of the hole with water will gradually fill it with soil.
                As the leek grows, blanch the stem with more soil or some kind of tube and it will be ready anywhere from September to March depending on the leek. Or you can enjoy a baby leek, which if bought in a supermarket has needed less space, soil, food nutrients, packaging and shipping but has cost you more....

Am sure i did a thread on leek growing somewhere.
                Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I'll have a look as I need to read up on this, being a complete novice. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Eskymo
                    Try the thtread entitled "How to" - this contains many of Geordie's excellent posts and was put together by Jaxom
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X