What are Multiplier Onions..??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Multiplier Onions..??

Today at Ryton seed swap i was given a bug bunch of Multiplier onions, nice bunch in the green.

However i have no idea what multiplier onions are..??

I have tried to Google, but keep getting American references, mostly places that sell onions.

Has anybody grown these, can you give me a bit of advice as to what to do with these..? Am I right in thinking they are a type of shallot.??

Yours terminally confused.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Sounds possible. I wondered if they were what are called 'walking onions' by another name? Where's Piglet when you need him?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

multiplier onion form a cluster like a shallot (follow link)
      http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/MasterGa.../MultOnion.PDF

Comment

ps link takes a long time to load

Comment

Well theres a thing.
          Thankyou Johnygreenfeet and Milwaukee County.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hey! I'm looking forward to Ryton tomorrow, Seasprout - trust it was a fab day - any tips for me....?

Comment

The HSL list a few varieties of multiplier onion. I think that they were the forerunner to modern day shallots.

Comment

Getting back to multiplier onions, I used to grow what I was told were 'everlasting onions'. When I asked about them on this forum Vikki Lorraine suggested they may be 'Welsh onions'. Anyone know if they are one and the same? They grew very quickly and were very hardy and mad good onion soup. Well worthwile having a go if you have a bit of spare space.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I think they might also be known as Siberian Onions, all sounds pretty much like the same idea, if not the same exact thing.

They grow in clumps and are more like large chives with a sturdy base, leek style - I usually break off a few and pop in soups.

Comment

I've always asumed that multiplier onions grow exactly the same as shallots but taste mild, like an onion instead!
                    I also grow Egyptian tree onions which some people call walking onions because when the onions form on the top of the plant the weight pulls the plant down and the onion 'walks'!
                    Welsh onions are like a large tasteless chive and even though I inherited some in my allotment, I am not a great fan of them.
                    The shallot, to me is the noblest of the onion family with a distinctive taste and each year I seem to be planting more shallots and less onions! I wonder why that is!!!!!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

nondipoo

Hi,

I'm looking for some Tree onions. I used to have a couple of plants but they disappeared in the hard winter we had. Does anyone ahve qa contact for purchasing some please?

Comment

Try ebay.

Comment

"Multiplier onions", you might have any number of thing there. Many different types are referred to as Multiplier onions.

There are a many onion varieties that provide more than one crop. These include the potato onions, Egyptian onions, and Chinese leek. All are relatives of the regular bulbing onion but are rarely found in the supermarket.

Multiplier(Root) - Examples are the potato onions and shallots, which grow under ground and divide.
                          Multiplier(Topset) - Examples are the Egyptian onion, which multiply when their top bulblets fall and take root in nearby ground.
                          Bunching onion - Which are referred to Japanese bunching onions, welsh onions or scallions, continue to divide if left in the soil.
                          Chives - stay in the ground and the leaves are cut as needed.

This year I am growing the following perennial onions:
                          Multiplier(Topset) - Egyptian Walking Onions, Luk, Bluish
                          Multiplier(Root) - Hmong Multiplier
                          Bunching onion - Evergreen Hardy, Stevenson, Franz
                          Chives - Unknown Chives, Garlic Chives(my favorite)

Let us know, what ends up growing and how you liked them.

Dean

Comment

see....you learn something new everyday!
                            My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

I live in NORTH SHIELDS and used to have bunching onions bau left them in garden at previous house, these you split from a cluster in october and longer you left them bigger they got , now looking for replacements, can any one help me to get some ,will pay for them and postage. tillyl

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X