Still cropping Calabrese?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still cropping Calabrese?

I grew calabrese for the first time last year and harvested the central florets approximately September.

I then started harvesting the side shoots which I thought would cease production once we had the first frost?............................ How wrong can you be!!!!

Here we are nearly into February and I am still harvesting side shoots once per fortnight.

Not that I'm complaining, but aren't Calabrese supposed to be less than hardy?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Mine are the same Snadger. I think I might grow more of these this year as I prefer the sprouts on them to the PSB as they are not so strongly flavoured. Certainly worth their space in the garden.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Me too. This has never happened before, but what a bonus.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Calabrese is not particularly hardy - that why PSB is so popular, but I have about 70 Calabrese Marathon plants in my tunnel that are just starting to produce their central florets. I hope to start cropping in a couple of weeks. I also have PSB in the tunnel, and it is planned to crop next month then through to March.
        It's just another sign that our winters are now milder than ever before.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info Snadger, will try to grow some this autumn and see if it lucky enough to get another mild winter to over winter.... And if I got some space left, will definitely sow some for spring too...Momol
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

What calabrese are you all talking about? I'm getting awfully confused between broccoli, calabrese, sprouting, greens etc . Anyway I bought this veg called Calabrese Sprouting Greens from MoreVeg (see link). Is this what you've got? It looks like PSB but you can sow and eat in the same year (or I think that's what it says, could this be true?).

http://moreveg.net - Detailed item view - Calabrese Green Sprouting
            Last edited by veg4681; 20-01-2008, 07:54 PM.
            Food for Free

Comment

I think Snadger means broccoli calabrese similar to what you got but no idea which type as they are so many varieties...... momol
              Last edited by momol; 20-01-2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Calabrese has a large green head, followed by some smaller side shoots. It is mostly grown from spring to autumn and the plants are roughly 12 inches tall and wide. Calabrese wouldn't normally survive a UK winter outside. It matures in about 2 1/2 to 3 months.

Broccoli has a smaller central head followed by a big crop of side shoots. It is usually a much larger plant - about 3-4 ft tall and across. Purple Sprouting Broccoli is the most common in the UK, but white and green can also be found. It is very tough and hardy and takes a long time to reach maturity. It is most often cropped from Christmas to April, having been started in the previous spring or summer.

Supermarkets call it all broccoli, but they're stupid

Comment

I think that they think WE are stupid Cutecumber. I hate being patronised by big corporations.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                    Calabrese has a large green head, followed by some smaller side shoots. It is mostly grown from spring to autumn and the plants are roughly 12 inches tall and wide. Calabrese wouldn't normally survive a UK winter outside. It matures in about 2 1/2 to 3 months.

Broccoli has a smaller central head followed by a big crop of side shoots. It is usually a much larger plant - about 3-4 ft tall and across. Purple Sprouting Broccoli is the most common in the UK, but white and green can also be found. It is very tough and hardy and takes a long time to reach maturity. It is most often cropped from Christmas to April, having been started in the previous spring or summer.

Supermarkets call it all broccoli, but they're stupid
                    CC thanks for the explanations . I can understand why Veg get confused ( me too)... as not just supermarket called them all Broccoli but lots of seeds company too... .

Momol

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                      as not just supermarket called them all Broccoli but lots of seeds company too... .

Momol
                      No wonder I don't know which is which !
                      Food for Free

Comment

I love calabrese but must have grown it too closely together last year. I got lovely central heads and one crop of very small side shoots then the whole lot went and died on me Hoping for better luck this year - spacing further apart and hoping for a bit more dry and a bit less of the wet stuff. Or do you have a secret method Snadger?!
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                          I love calabrese but must have grown it too closely together last year. I got lovely central heads and one crop of very small side shoots then the whole lot went and died on me Hoping for better luck this year - spacing further apart and hoping for a bit more dry and a bit less of the wet stuff. Or do you have a secret method Snadger?!
                          I've never grown it before so no special method, just planted it 18" apart and after the first central head it's sideshoots have just kept cropping and cropping! Very surprised but also very delighted!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Does your calabrese have a name Snadg?

.....and you know I'm talking variety here! When does it get sown?
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                              Does your calabrese have a name Snadg?

.....and you know I'm talking variety here! When does it get sown?
                              Mine is Alan Titchmarsh organic Broccoli Sprouting Calabrese from Suttons. I have some spare seeds if you want to try
                              Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 21-01-2008, 04:51 PM.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X