I just planted my carrots...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just planted my carrots...

...and beetroot and leeks...in trays After last year putting them in whole trays and then realising that I shouldn't...and they still grew fine after transplanting, but now they're in indiviual little trays which I can't think of what it's called! The main reason I've put them in that is that I'm still waiting for some ground for my raised bed!!! So have to start them somewhere
    Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Ooh, I've just got some seeds and am sowing in little jiffy pots tomorrow. I'm not too late am I?

Comment

I'm super late with my carrots, you can plant them succesionally all through the season, so it is certainly not late. It might be too late for parsnipsm but im going to give it go anyway. Heck i'm still planting tomato seeds

Comment

Gryfon - what sort of trays have you used? I planted my leeks in a tray last year and they went quite leggy with very little roots. I think I need something deeper. Any ideas? Modules?
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

That's the one...modules! That's what I've used this time.

Last year I started them in normal inch high trays, but then transplanted them into bigger pots when they were about 2 or 3 inches high.

Oh and I plan to sow some more in a weekand then the week after that or so so I end up with some every week Children love them!
          Rachel

Comment

Jenny, never grew leeks but decided to give them a try this year. I put them in riit trainers. Don't know if they will be a success buit am keeping my fingers crossed. Let me know how you get on with yours.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I just planted my carrots....

For years I have been growing beetroots in modules one inch high with very good success and then transplanting them without thinning. The result - two to four beetroots in each spot. For leeks I use 4 inches high trays and transplant them in early July. Thinking about I grow almost everything in modules or trays including sweedes but never tried with carrots or parsnips, has anyone tried? if so please let me know your result. I find that the advantage in growing veg. in moudules is that the ground can be cleared of weeds before hand and eliminates the need of thinning.
              Don Vincenzo

Comment

Carrots I did in trays last year and then transplanted them to pots...didn't realised that you shouldn't plant them in compost so they ended up forked (in a pretty twisty sort of way) but the children still picked, washed and ate them

Just have to remember this year to bank the ground up around the leeks, forgot last year and wondered why I only had an inch or so of white
                Rachel

Comment

Gryfon how deep did you plant your leeks?
                  [

Comment

Not very! Live and learn though
                    Rachel

Comment

When you plant your leeks make a 6 inch deep hole and drop the leek in. Fill the hole up with water and gradually over time the hole fills up with soil. This way you should get more than an inch of white and I never get any grit in my leeks.
                      [

Comment

I live in Hampshire and it is blazing hot here but not sure if it is safe to put the runner beans out yet. They are taking over the greenhouse and looking really limp?

Anybody from this part of the country?

Janette

Comment

I don't plant my beans outside until end of may, but I live near the midlands. Any earlier and we have had frost.Am I to late to sow'King Richard' leeks? I don't know how I missed them on my 'to do' list last month!!!

Comment

I came out the house yesterday to discover that the tray of leeks that were growing away quite nicely, had been bent in half and deposited on the floor! Am I too late to start more? Don't know if it was the cats or the dog to blame but I am not impressed!

Comment

parsnips

Originally posted by Don Vincenzo
                              For years I have been growing beetroots in modules one inch high with very good success and then transplanting them without thinning. The result - two to four beetroots in each spot. For leeks I use 4 inches high trays and transplant them in early July. Thinking about I grow almost everything in modules or trays including sweedes but never tried with carrots or parsnips, has anyone tried? if so please let me know your result. I find that the advantage in growing veg. in moudules is that the ground can be cleared of weeds before hand and eliminates the need of thinning.
                              Don Vincenzo

i always start my parsnips in peat pots so i cant see modules being a problem just get them as tall as you can, i do get forking with pots occasionally but with the peat pots i remove the base carfeully trying not to damage the main tap root.. this year im growing pop bottle parsnips which seem to be working well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X