Propagating house leeks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propagating house leeks?

I have some house leeks with lots of new babies. From what I can gather, I can take off the little ones and replant. I can't find any info though on whether I can just whip them off, or whether there's some sort of special technique (cutting? twisting? something else?).
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Cut the 'babies' off cleanly - don't leave too much 'stem', and just plant up in some well-drained soil/compost. I often wait until I see new roots appearing before I plant them, so you might want to wait a few weeks until the plants are growing a bit more strongly before doing it. If the 'babies' haven't got any roots, you just plant them by putting them on the surface of the soil.

Hope that helps. I got into the houseleeks in a big way a few years ago, I now have around 20 varieties
    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

That's super, thanks!

20 varieties! I've got three different sorts but I'm jealous now!

Comment

I once saw a picture of a large flat pan-type terracotta pot with the house number in pale green house leeks and the background in dark green ones. It looked SO classy I wanted to have a go. I did have get few house-leeks but then I decided life's too short. (Could have done it in the intervening 10 years if I'd got off me butt though!)
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've got a book with a pic of some fabulous stone tortoises, where all the hexagon bits of their shells are made of house leeks, very funky!

Comment

Oh dear if you are into them in a big way with 20 what does that make me with over 200? My big problem now is that a lot of my labels have disappeared so which 200 I am not sure any more. There are only about 17 species by the way the reat or forms and hybrids. Very similar but always with yellow flowers and a different method of growing are Jovibarba.

Comment

Well, I feel positively inadequate now with my measly three and I'd never even heard of Jovibarba!

Do either of you have pics?

Comment

Hi Seahorse, I'll see if I can find some pics of the varieties I grow.... watch this space!
                Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Me too, may not have pics of individuals, but got some of growing areas, somewhere!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X