Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks

Hi all!

This is only me second thread so please be gentle with me!

I'm a total novice at gardening.. I managed to get some peas and carrots this year to grow... and that was it!

My grandfather was my info source right up until he passed away last month so I am kinda stuck. I read GYO and decided to try coming on here for help, hints and tips!

now.. to my question....

I planted some leeks from seed back in april (ish) in little pots, they are tiny.. i never got round to moving them to bigger beds. But i have now. They have wonderful heathly looking roots and the leeks themsleves look great (apart form being tiny!).. so my question... are they likely to thrive now they are in bigger beds or have i just wasted my time, especially at this time of year?

TIA!
    Cyanara

I would just leave them be- if you put fleece over them then they may get rust.
    Enjoy up until Feb/March....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They probably wont thrive untill late next spring. I have a crop of leeks that I only transplanted about a couple of months ago after planting them in July. Although it was really the wrong time for planting leeks I always get a crop of edible medium sized leeks. Doing it this way avoids the leek moth. Well thats what I always find anyway!!

Comment

well.. there's hope for them yet!!! Thanks!!

one question nicos... bear in mind i'm a bit concerete headed when it comes to all things green... what's rust?? and on leeks..? i know my car has some....
        Last edited by cyanara; 07-11-2007, 08:29 PM.
        Cyanara

Comment

Its a fungal disease that leeks get, it looks like small orange/ ginger spots on leaves. can affect plant vigour if its bad, but otherwise if its a small affliction it looks worse than it is.

Just an aside... are you organic..?
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

apart from the filing the dentist gave me...

I'm trying to be... that is about the best that i can say... but it's difficult because i'm not terribly good with bugs so the idea of picking beatsies off my plants/veggies is abhorent to me... but then... so is the idea of feeding my 21 month old twins food full of pesicides etc. I've not used anything chemically from the garden centres on my beds *yet* and i want to try to keep it that way... i just feel once you do how long till the ground is purdged of it... but i don't know enough about gardeninng in general and organic gardenining in particular to be able to make informed decisions.

Any help on that front greatly appreicate!
            Last edited by cyanara; 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM.
            Cyanara

Comment

Ho dont worry, I'm not going all Eco on you, its easier to know when helping with advice.

I'm about 90% organic myself, this year I've used chemical fertilizers, granules and liquid.
              Also I've used some weedkiller. However I wont use pesticides.

Its at this point i would recommend the Hessayon books to all newcomers, however I've recently read they are all being updated in 2008 with new and relevant info.

So perhaps hanging on would be prudent for now.

A good book is RHS grow your own veg by Carol Klein. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grow-Your-Ow...4469228&sr=1-1

Library or ask Santa
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

santa has been emailed!!!!

i have heard of some plants that help keep bugs away... and also that some bugs are nesscerary... any suggestions...??
                Cyanara

Comment

You'll get something from your leeks Cyanara. If you leave them in the ground they will grow on. But you can use them at any size. I do like them as baby leeks as a veg for the dinner as well as big leeks for soup.
                  As for organic, that's up to you. And what does it mean anyway. I try to be organic in my way but I won't sit back and watch my crops being decimated. I try to find a sensible, middle way. We all have to do what feels comfortable and right for us. Good luck with the project .

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by cyanara View Post
                    santa has been emailed!!!!

i have heard of some plants that help keep bugs away... and also that some bugs are nesscerary... any suggestions...??
                    French and African Marigolds (but not the doubles) and Tagetes. Out of the three Tagetes are the ones for me as there foliage stinks but there flowers are very long lived, petite and pretty! They attract butterflies and hoverflies which aid polination but the nasties like greenfly and blackfly are put off by there pungent foliage methinks!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you're squeamish about squishing bugs with your bare hands, then don a pair of rubber gloves (Marigolds or the thinner disposable latex ones). The mushiest, horriblest ones to get rid of are aphids (greenfly, blackfly etc), but they do come off well. Squish as many as you can, and you can always use a soapy water spray to get rid of the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                        If you're squeamish about squishing bugs with your bare hands, then don a pair of rubber gloves (Marigolds or the thinner disposable latex ones). The mushiest, horriblest ones to get rid of are aphids (greenfly, blackfly etc), but they do come off well. Squish as many as you can, and you can always use a soapy water spray to get rid of the rest.
                        I cant even squish them then - cant even abide seeing them there. Can however wash them with soapy water
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          I cant even squish them then - cant even abide seeing them there. Can however wash them with soapy water

I'm the same!! just the thought of thouse icky bugs!!

I just do not do ANYTHING in the garden with gloves on... i have a HUGE worm phobia... ( I know.. i know.. too wierd!) and i run screaming when i see one.. the idea of even touching with fills me with terror... and as for all those other nasties!!!

I didn't know about schooshing them with soapy water!! do i just use washing up liquid and some water in a spray bottle??
                          Cyanara

Comment

At last a fellow wormaphobic!! I really thought I was the only one!

Yes, a bit of washing up liquid (I use ecover) in water and squirt it on - gets rid of the greenfly a treat
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                              At last a fellow wormaphobic!! I really thought I was the only one!

Yes, a bit of washing up liquid (I use ecover) in water and squirt it on - gets rid of the greenfly a treat
                              ME TOO!!!! The looks i get when it's been raining... i'll be walking along quite the thing and suddenly i'll be hopping and jumping and squealing and screaming all because some little wriggly worm has crossed my path!

I'm glad you suggested Ecover... i would have just used fairy antibacterial!!! Ecover at least seems to be the healthier/green (?!?) option!!
                              Cyanara

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X