Winter Kale and broccolli

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Kale and broccolli

I've got loads of kale and broccoli for overwinter planting, and it's in little pots at the mo, but needs planting out soon

I'm worried that it'll get eaten by slugs or damaged in the crap weather, as it's still pretty small (but getting too big for it's pots)

What can I do to protect it?

I tend to have the same dilema. I sow in pots first (never in bed) and when they're decent sized seedlings (or too big in pots), transplant them to bed but making sure I have scattered slug pellets (since the plants are too nice & tender for them!)...as this is my preferred method for slug control.

You may want to try and cover up exposed areas of 'freshly dug up soil' between the seedlings because the birds love to dig up for worms and cat thinks it's found its toilet (I've lost plants this way before). I've used quarry tiles (on gaps of soil) and BBQ skewers as deterrants but you could use netting which I find too fiddly coz I'm lazy.

Please read on for more advice later. I'm fairly novice myself.
    Last edited by veg4681; 03-10-2007, 03:47 PM.
    Food for Free

Comment

Don't worry about the weather - they are very hardy plants. Make sure you plant them in firmly, though, it is essential to keep them from rocking in the wind.

Once they are in, get some rootfly collars around the stems, then maybe add a mulch. I find strulch to be very good - the top stays dry but it keep the soil underneath damp. A mulch isn't essential but my soil is very loose and dry so it's important for me. In terms of slug protection, a rough mulch like egg shells may assist, but I've not had any luck personally. You could use some organic slug pellets (or ordinary ones) and set up some beer traps around and about. Some kind of collar - like a section from a large plastic soft-drink bottle - would offer some protection for their early days at least. All being well, the young plants should romp away once you get them in and they become less of a target.

All of our babies have to go to school eventually - you just have to take a deep breath and trust that they'll be ok

Comment

Get your brassicas in the ground and let them romp away before the really cold weather sets in!

I use slug pellets but I also net against pigeons and rabbits so birds or suchlike can't get at the slug pellets.
        Monster shelled snails are my problem but the slug pellets are slowly eradicating them!
        Once the plants have grown a wee bit I'll add a straw or strawy manure mulch as well!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine went in a few weeks ago under cover of netting. They are doing well. They are really tough old birds so they just want to get their feet in the ground and a bit of growing done before it closes in for the winter. You'll be really glad of them in the dark days.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

can broccoli be sown now? my seed packets all say march, so I didnt think they could be overwintered?

Comment

Naomi, what varieties do you have?

Broccoli (as in the hardy sprouting broccoli, not green calabrese) takes a long time to grow. It is a big plant which has to stand winter weather, so it needs to be quite substantial before the cold comes. They are sown in the spring and early summer so they have time to develop. Depending on the variety, they crop from mid-winter right through into spring. There are also a couple of new varieties which will produce sprouts in late summer and autumn, but traditionally this is when we would be growing calabrese.

Calabrese plants are smaller, quicker growing but not hardy. We normally sow from spring onwards. The latest sowings are usually around midsummer, to get a head in autumn.

Comment

Could Marathon F1 be sown or is it too late. Also, is it winter hardy. Any advice appreciated as i got these seed as a gift without instructions.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Marathon is a green calabrese rather than a broccoli so it won't stand the cold.

The theory is that the last sowings should be made in July, to head up in the autumn. If the weather is mild (which you don't know!!) then perhaps you could stretch it to August, but I think October is pushing it. Better to wait until spring, now.

Comment

Cutecumber, thanks so much for the prompt reply. I actually had the seeds in my hand ready to go down to my greenhouse to sow. I have now put them away until next year.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

There's no harm in trying one or two, Bramble. If you can give them some protection you might be lucky. Just don't depend on them producing a lovely luscious head.

Comment

thanks for all the replies. I have a calabrese variety and a purple sprouting broccoli variety - I will give them a go next year!

Comment

Actually I cheated with mine

I bought them as plug plants from Marshalls!

They have grown really well!

Comment

I have Curly Kale in the ground now for the first time. Its about 15" high. How does one crop it? take a few leaves off each plant or devour a single plant? I know its only October but the leaves look tempting now! Thanks
                            Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

You can do lots of things with kale. You could harvest them all young, harvest a few young, take a few leaves off each...

... but you need to hold off from picking now if you really want to enjoy some fresh veg in the winter/ early spring. That's when it comes into its own. In my experience, the flavour is better then, too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X