Calor gas heating

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calor gas heating

Its feels like the weather is getting colder and we normally have hard frost and/or snow for days or weeks here as so high. I don't need a warm greenhouse, I just try to stay frost free and then cool from mid Feb.

My hotbox has not been a success as I think we needed fresher manure. But I remembered we bought a old fashioned calor gas heater after a power cut a few years ago with a bottle, and never actually used it. I am wondering if it I could run that in the greenhouse.

Otherwsie I am thinking tealight candles?

Does anyone have any comments please before I ask Mr Mamz to venture into the deepest darkest areas of his garage...

Its a 6x12 norflok greenhouse so the hard plastic type, and lined on sides with bubblewrap - not on roof
    Last edited by Mamzie; 17-01-2020, 03:29 PM.
    Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
    and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

No idea about heating with calor, sorry, but does it give off vapour/condensation/fumes?
    Lots of threads about ingenious ways to heat a GH but there doesn't seem to be a "best way".
    If you're thining of tealights, most of them only last a few hours. then you'd have to open the GH to light some new ones, and leat the cold air in again.
    Wilko's sell 8 hour ones https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-wh...pack/p/0296291

Comment

Hi Mamzie, I wouldnt think the calor gas would be a good idea as there is no thermostat on it.
      As VC said, there is also fumes from the gas..
      What is in the greenhouse that you need to overwinter?

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Its nothing to overwinter as such, I have strawberry runners planted up who take their chances and a few plants I am trying to nurse through winter. but theres no heating for them, just bubble wrap, and weather protection.

I get minus temperatures and ice inside the greenhouse up until May, so its to add a little warmth on hard frost or snow nights just so its not frozen inside. As we go into late winter the green house has to work as I need the shelving space. I plant up way too many seeds that have to move into trays for friends and school as well as us, so can only propagate inside home then they gotta survive in greenhouse. My paraffin heater from years ago seemed to drink it last 2 years. Fleece on top alone doesn't do it sadly, although it does help.

We already have the space heater, but also have a few (coughes) packs of long burn tealights and china pots to catch their warmth. Our old house had only central heating no gas fire and I was always worried we would lose heating in a power cut, so liked to be prepared.
        Last edited by Mamzie; 17-01-2020, 06:44 PM.
        and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Have you tried putting a small growhouse thingy inside your GH for a 2nd level of insulation for your seedlings?
          Something like this https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-mi...arge/p/0476577
          You may be able to heat that with tealights but would struggle to heat the GH.

Comment

Actually I have 2 of those as well (darn wilko sales), its hopefully to take the edge off without buying a jack of paraffin every week - I do love the idea of heating up those with tealights I don't need the tropics, just for it to be brisk instead of Siberia x
            and a roll of duct tape.

Comment

Hi, one thing to note is that indoor (cabinet) heaters run off butane cylinders.. normally outdoor appliances will use propane.

This is because propane doesnt freeze up as easily in cold weather!
              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                Hi, one thing to note is that indoor (cabinet) heaters run off butane cylinders.. normally outdoor appliances will use propane.

This is because propane doesnt freeze up as easily in cold weather!
                That is a really good point - I had completely forgotten about that ty x
                and a roll of duct tape.

Comment

What seedlings are you wanting to keep warm?

Comment

Originally posted by Mamzie View Post
                    That is a really good point - I had completely forgotten about that ty x
                    No problem.. I managed to get a greenhouse heater and 47kg propane bottle for nothing a few years ago.. worked great!
                    I would pay to heat a greenhouse with gas though I'd find space in the house for the seedlings!
                    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Tomatoes and peppers mostly, with a few bedding and companion plants added to mix a month or so later. Followed by my cucumbers and possibly another melon attempt (we got 3 melons last year)

I have to get a better way of managing my space and even gulp, plan, as it was really crowded last year before plants started to move elsewhere
                      and a roll of duct tape.

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                        No problem.. I managed to get a greenhouse heater and 47kg propane bottle for nothing a few years ago.. worked great!
                        I would pay to heat a greenhouse with gas though I'd find space in the house for the seedlings!
                        That's what has started niggling at me, the fact I suddenly remembered the heater plus a bottle just doing nothing, and no plans for being used. That's gotta be free heat somehow lol x
                        and a roll of duct tape.

Comment

It kind of is but you'll only get around 40 hours to 100 hours out of a 15kg cylinder on 3 bars and 1 bar respectively..
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Thank you, that's not very long at all I may be better off selling it for jacks of paraffin
                            and a roll of duct tape.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X