Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost Question

Hello everybody, first post.

I have taken on a plot and have inherited a large bin full of well rotted compost - however there are tiny bits of plastic and debris such as little bits of foil and perished ubble sacking. Is this safe to use? I want to mulch with it but I'm worried it may have an effect on future veg.

Welcome to the vine

I’d use it. But I would have to pick out as much of the plastic and other rubbish as possible. No doubt a time consuming and mind numbing job.

Comment

Hi Gareth, and welcome to the vine.

I would definitely use it, i can't see how it could adversely affect your crops (unless it's contaminated in some more sinister way). I would just pick out what rubbish you can when you rake it over your beds.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice.

I will spend a day or two sifting and picking bits out.

Comment

another vote for just using it.

pick out the bits as you go

Comment

Thanks

I have had very rewarding day picking out bits and spreading the rest over one of my beds. There were lots of stones, bits of foil and I also found a light bulb and a spoon!

Comment

OMG sounds like some people used it as a dumping ground, but you are doing the right thing, can’t beat good well rotted compost, just do as you’ve started, spread, rake and pick out the unusable bits.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X