What Was/is your best job

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was/is your best job

While reading an other thread I came across a reference from AP about a job his father worked on (a still man in a distillery) which to some would, no doubt be a good job, so was wondering what job you have or had that you consider your best job
    I worked in a local mill (nylon threads and rope) then the steel works, (furnaces) a chemical plant, process then fireman, then a supper market. Of the Jobs I have had, the heaviest and hardest was the furnaces, and as I went into that job as a boy I got a skelp in the ear and kick up the backside, though that didn't happen that often, as I was fast, and growing but I do consider it the best job I had and I think it was due to the men I worked with there was a mix of all ages right up to 65
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Probably the best I had was packing garden chair cushions in a factory one summer holiday.
    Great bunch of people to work with, boss didn’t mind us chatting so long as the work got done, and was happy to have a bunch of teenagers who would go back to school when the rush died down in the autumn so he wouldn’t have to lay people off. I learned all sorts chatting to everyone (all temporary staff with interesting lives), as much overtime as we wanted, but none of the responsibilities that can keep us all awake at night ;-)

Comment

Best job was Zoo keeper.

Other jobs have been.
      Florist, chef, fish monger, gardener, cleaner.

Comment

I ran ( job shared) a brand new hydrotherapy unit ooop nooorf.
        Very very busy and fantastic working conditions.
        Utterly superb job, exhausting work, very rewarding results, even now I reflect back on it as one of my happiest jobs ever.
        Last edited by Nicos; 12-12-2019, 07:46 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Apple picker and packer in the Huon Valley, Tasmania when I realised my wish to live lightly on the earth.
          The Apple orchard had a milking cow so a pail of fresh milk arrived on the doorstep/hut daily. Same with eggs and the freedom to pick apples, pears and nectarines at will. A lemon tree outside the kitchen window and a walnut tree a few steps away.
          No worries, no money, no responsibility, freedom, not a care in the world.

I'm a lot older now, but I have eggs and fruit to pick at will and I still don't worry about anything.

Comment

I had a variety of jobs all in engineering after completing an apprenticeship, I built power station, worked on oil rigs and assembled parts inside black box flight recorders and pretty everything in between, I worked on my own and as part of teams, some were interesting, occasionally satisfying, but I never actually had a job I enjoyed working for others. I spent a couple of years working with rock bands as a sound engineer and equipment technician with the road crews, that had it's moments seeing how the other half lived. Retirement is definitely my favourite job, by a long way.

Comment

Wow! This post gets you thinking!

Best job is tricky, because they're all very different.

I'm currently working as a parts technician in the Groundcare department of a Machinery Dealership (John Deere).
              The people are great, the company is family run and has that family feel.

I came from another slightly larger dealership (New Holland) where there was much less of a family feel. I spent 11 years there.

I currently really enjoy going to work every day.

Other ones that stand out, I spent a few weeks temping at Kings seeds.. that was fun!

I was a bailiff for a utilities company - enjoyed the job but the company was awful!

..also worked in a tackle and gun shop..also fun at the time!
              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Apple picker and packer in the Huon Valley, Tasmania when I realised my wish to live lightly on the earth.
                Did you get to see much of the rest of Tasmania? Loved it when I spent a month or so touring by bicycle. Wouldn't mind moving there at some point.

Comment

I was there for about 18 months, wonderful place. Felt about "the Size of Wales" whilst the mainland was overwhelmingly big.
                  Worked on the orchard, on a soft fruit farm and in various offices in Hobart. Fantastic scenery and wildlife; lovely people. I could happily have lived there.

Comment

Looking back I think working aboard a cruise liner off the West coast of the USA, Canada and Mexico. I was young and carefree. I didn't earn vast amounts but I had nothing really to spend my money on......great food and duty free booze. I didn't work when we were in port so got to see new things and made friends with people of all nationalities.

Comment

When I worked in the supermarket 2 things in particular I remember, you were supposed to wear name badges but I removed mine and when questioned about it I said I would not allow a child of 10 or 11 address me by my first name, I was never questioned about it again, the other thing was that the store policy was to open other checkouts if there were queues, several times shoppers with full trolleys were given the opportunity to move to other checkouts but many of them waited to go through with me, I always tried to treat customers as individuals, by the way I think I was the slowest checkout operator
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

What an interesting thread! I had a place at Hammersmith Hospital to study medicine and become a doctor. I found I was pregnant (mid sixties) so had to marry the father. I've led an interesting career path since. To go back to the subject, the most interesting was as a temp in a hitech company where there was a computer going spare that nobody knew how to use. I asked if I could use it. It led to me taken on as permanent staff, others sent on courses to use computers and me ending up as the trouble shooter for the company over the whole of Europe. The company paid for my degree. I loved my job and left over a misunderstanding.
                        Last edited by JanieB; 13-12-2019, 04:23 PM.
                        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                        Oxfordshire

Comment

Mine is very boring compared to some of you,i was tolled i had to go into the machine factory,no choice,my best was saturday work at the old LEWIS in town,i felt free,and loved working with people,both sis and i wanted to go full time,but were forbayed,the factory did teach me valuable sewing and overlocking,in coats,knitware,dress's ext,just did not enjoy it,even had a few months in a bag place,but am far happier being retired,my own boss and no bullying,plus i have my 2 growing spaces
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Being retired isn't a job, but I agree. I have enough income to clothe,feed and keep myself warm. I have a roof over my head and I can pay the bills. I can't pay for fancy stuff and, to be quite honest, caviare is disgusting stuff. I buy from Matalan, Primark and other cheapo stores. I do have a couple of expensive outfits that i bought years ago and can drag out when needed. They are of such a classic style they will always be fashionable. In general I wear clothes until they wear out. I still wear a sweatshirt of Brian's from over 14 years ago because there is nothing wrong with it and it reminds me of him (it also has a hedgehog on it).
                            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

Sadly, I've never known what I wanted to do professionally and as such, moved from one job to another.
                              I started working life as a paper boy and a cleaner in a butchers on Saturdays whilst at school.
                              After a brief time as an insurance sales person, my first full time job, I joined the fire service which i think was my most favourite job.
                              I left the fire service to travel, after 18 months I studied for a degree, became a secondary school teacher, then left that to join the ambulance service were I've remained since.
                              I've never disliked any of my jobs, they've just all made me question society as a whole.
                              As a change, I would love to do a job that makes me forget life for a bit and pays me a decent wage
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X