Growing something new to you in 2020?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing something new to you in 2020?

Anything different on your Grow List for 2020?

I'm going to try Thai Aubergines "Kermit". Never had much success with aubergines so I'm not 100% confident that I'll do any better with these - but they look cute and I've always liked Kermit the Frog.

Just googled Kermit aubergine. They are cute.

I’m only growing 18 things plus chillies ( unlike my normal 99 things plus chillies).
    Nothing new and not many of anything.

Comment

Well, I bought a satsuma, a yuzu and a persimmon about a month back, if that counts?

I'm also going to try and grow papayas next year. I've got eight seedlings coming along in my conservatory, which all going well will be planted out at the beginning of June next year.

Comment

Those weird cucumelon things I keep hearing about. I wasn't interested until someone said they are perennial. Now I'm keen but they still sound a bit weird. And tomatillos (however you spell that ).

Comment

I'm going to try some drying peas, Carlin (Gray pays here in the black country) & Crown Pea and a few new to me varieties of drying bean (Thanks NG). Lots of new tomatoes and flowers from the circles I haven't grown before and I bought some melon seeds on impulse last year last year so plan on trying a couple of those too.

Comment

Having read a bit of Snadgers Peniltimate Plot thread, my interest is piqued by Yacon. May give it a go.
            All at once I hear your voice
            And time just slips away
            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Thinking about trying christophine (chayote). I should be able to get a fruit from the markets here, and somebody on a nearby plot grew it this year.

Comment

Another try at growing Cumin (failed this year) and will also try Chervil.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have several fruit trees/bushes that have been bought this year but will (possibly) produce their first fruit next year. They are apple Bountiful, pear Concorde, cherry Sunburst, chilean guava and kiwiberry Issai.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I always grow something new, but not yet made a list, but I have a hankering to try Saffron crocus at some point. This years one was the trench celery, which seems to be a success and I may grow that again, often the experiments are not usually repeated.

Comment

I am planning to try some tall peas, Japanese onions (planted yesterday!), and kohl rabi.

Will have another go at celery now that I have a few tips from an experienced successful celery grower (never let them get thirsty, water 3 times daily if necessary, and pot them up before you think they need it). Last year they keeled over before they were an inch high, so I am not sure if that counts as having ‘grown them before’??

Comment

I’ll be trying chillies, tomatoes, cucumbers, & peppers in my poly tunnel. Never grown them here before, did try chillies a few years ago on the patio but they failed miserably.

Comment

I am going to try and grow my own luffas. That's is if I can find big enough space from them to grow up.
                          Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
                            Those weird cucumelon things I keep hearing about. I wasn't interested until someone said they are perennial. Now I'm keen but they still sound a bit weird. And tomatillos (however you spell that ).
                            I've heard mix reviews about the cucumelons. Some people like the taste of them and others dont.
                            Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                              I'm going to try some drying peas, Carlin (Gray pays here in the black country) & Crown Pea and a few new to me varieties of drying bean (Thanks NG). Lots of new tomatoes and flowers from the circles I haven't grown before and I bought some melon seeds on impulse last year last year so plan on trying a couple of those too.
                              I grow them this year. Was not impressed by them. I got pea moth and once dried the peas was very small. No good for eating.
                              Carrie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X