• Show
Clear All

• Sweet corn swift rubbish

Grew 16 plants of Swift in a 4x4 block.
    Plants have done really well.
    Huge beasts with tassles on top.
    Each has 2 or three cobs with silks.
    Some turned brown a week or so ago.
    So boiled a pan of water and picked the best looking cob.
    The kernals were very small and tasted rubbish.

Any ideas???
    Thanks Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Picked too early? I grew it last year and it was good tasting and plenty of sized kernels.

Comment

Or possibly even picked too late, so the kernels dry out and go wrinkly and floury.

How do you test your corn for readiness? Me, I peel back the husk a bit and press down on a kernel, if it exudes a thin but milky liquid, they're ready. If thin and not milky, the corn's not ready yet; if thick and milky, they've gone too far.

Edited to add: Or possibly someone nearby is growing a different variety and that has cross pollinated with yours, producing unsatisfactory kernels.
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 27-08-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Further to Snoop's excellent advice: peeling down some husk is non-destructive; it doesn't seem to do any harm.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Cross pollination

Or possibly someone nearby is growing a different variety and that has cross pollinated with yours, producing unsatisfactory kernels.
          Are you sure about this? My understanding is the x pollination affects the next generation, not the current one.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
            Are you sure about this? My understanding is the x pollination affects the next generation, not the current one.
            It's because with sweet corn we eat the actual seeds, which ARE the next generation.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I always eat mine raw direct from the plant. I always make sure the tassels are dark brown and dead before even trying the cobs.

Mine are no where near ready yet.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

So I will give them a week and have a peek.
                Opps Iam a poet and didn't know it.
                Jimmy
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Swift - our experience

Just looked back at seed packets. We did Swift also. Sown in plug trays 14 March in greenhouse; planted out last week of April in 5 by 5 block. The wind got two rows so we were left with a 3 by 5 block. (we don't get much in way of frost but do get very strong winds)

Started harvesting about 2 weeks ago: eaten about 6 and have about 8 more in freezer. Getting a bit course now - have to eat faster!

We did have some hermaphrodite flowers at some of the tops (where you expect male flowers). They were mostly male but also had a kind of vestigial ear with silks and a few kernels. We are an equal opportunity outfit so we ignored them. Didn't seem to affect quality.

Comment

Swift confused me last year (I think it was last year...) because the tassels actually went brown some weeks (yes, weeks!) before the cobs were ready. Now I just keep checking as they start to look ready. Mine aren't nearly ready yet.

Comment

As in most years, the male flowers opened, shed their pollen, dried up, and then a short while later the female flowers appeared. I have some cobs with about 1/3 filled kernels, and I will definitely have a lot of cobs with no pollination at all. How do I encourage them to synchronise properly??

Comment

Fab resource showing the stages of ripening... https://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn...grainfill.html

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                          Fab resource showing the stages of ripening... https://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn...grainfill.html
                          Those US universities' extension sites are a great resource.

Comment

I harvested a single cob last week to try and although small about a third of the size of a normal cob, it was tasty. I haven't gotten round to harvesting the remainder and the ears are brown now.
                            Last edited by monkeyboy; 28-08-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouvere View Post
                              As in most years, the male flowers opened, shed their pollen, dried up, and then a short while later the female flowers appeared. I have some cobs with about 1/3 filled kernels, and I will definitely have a lot of cobs with no pollination at all. How do I encourage them to synchronise properly??
                              I don't know that you can. Sorry. That seems to be the way they do things. But usually there's enough pollen from the male flowers that open a bit later, especially if you've got tillers (the extra shoots a bit like suckers).

This often gets said but: Lark has proved more successful for me than Swift. Not everyone will agree, mind.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X