Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 34
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Cuttings swap - 2018/2019

  1. #17
    simplesamen is offline Seedling
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Portugal and Devon
    Posts
    45
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Passiflora - fruiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by SarrissUK View Post
    What a great idea! I have taken a cutting this year in my local park, as I noticed the fantastic scent of a bush that is dotted about everywhere in the park. It's a mock orange, and it seems one of my cuttings have taken (I potted up the side shoots that I took off my cutting, but they died). Maybe next year I can send cuttings out to anyone who wants it!
    I also have...
    Rosemary - very, very hardy - it's survived a few harsh winters out there. Lovely flavour and nice gnarly stem now
    Bay - but they're fresh cuttings, so maybe best next year.
    Ivy, variegated
    Honeysuckle
    Passiflora
    Jasmine
    Kiwi
    Virginia creeper
    Hi SarrissUK, I know that lovely scent - the mock orange - I hope to take some cuttings next year...do you mind me asking...how did yours do? Did you have to take many cuttings or was it relatively successful?

    Also, your Passiflora...is it the fruiting type? If yes, I would love to trade some cuttings. I'm trying to gather as many fruiting plant varieties as possible for a little food forest I'm starting.

  2. #18
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is online now Gardening Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    62,419
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Hi SimpleSamen and welcome to the Forum.
    I'm sorry, but you're going to have to stick around for 3 months and make 50 posts before you can join in the swaps. However, that will give you time to get your cuttings well rooted
    Autumn's a good time to be planting out.
    simplesamen likes this.
    Garden like a Chicken
    @realveggiechicken

  3. #19
    SarrissUK's Avatar
    SarrissUK is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North East Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simplesamen View Post
    Hi SarrissUK, I know that lovely scent - the mock orange - I hope to take some cuttings next year...do you mind me asking...how did yours do? Did you have to take many cuttings or was it relatively successful?

    Also, your Passiflora...is it the fruiting type? If yes, I would love to trade some cuttings. I'm trying to gather as many fruiting plant varieties as possible for a little food forest I'm starting.
    I took a small cutting of the mock orange, and took off the sideshoots and planted them separately. The side shoots didn't live, but the main one seems to be ok so far. And yes, the mock orange smells amazing when in flower! Very, very perfumy!

    My passiflora has never fruited, but I didn't have it in a sunny position. One's died off, but I've managed to get shoots off the other - they didn't fare well with the snow last winter. Maybe if it's in full sun it will get fruits, but I can't say until this time next year.
    simplesamen likes this.

  4. #20
    simplesamen is offline Seedling
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Portugal and Devon
    Posts
    45
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Boxleaf Honeysuckle available

    Quote Originally Posted by jonahjonah View Post
    evergreen shrub that grows relatively quickly that could be maintained around 12 m tall
    Hello jonahjonah, I can offer you some Lonicera nitida (Boxleaf Honeysuckle) if you are interested? It is a fast growing ornamental evergreen shrub (can also be grown into a hedge or as a border), with small dark green leaves all year and tiny white flowers in spring.

    I have LOTS of it as have just done a big pruning. It takes really easily, so you will just need to poke the branches into the ground (or a pot) and it will root. Replant into final place once esstablished.

    Kind regards
    Shari

  5. #21
    simplesamen is offline Seedling
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Portugal and Devon
    Posts
    45
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default thank you for the warm welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Hi SimpleSamen and welcome to the Forum.
    I'm sorry, but you're going to have to stick around for 3 months and make 50 posts before you can join in the swaps. However, that will give you time to get your cuttings well rooted
    Autumn's a good time to be planting out.
    Hi veggiechicken, no problems, I'm sure I'll be around for much longer than 3 months this is a great forum and I'm really pleased to have found it!!

    One question...am I ok to *offer* prior to the 3months? I have things that others might want - just posted a reply to jonahjonah for shrubs wanted before seeing your post.

    Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to learning lots on here.
    Kind regards
    Shari
    veggiechicken likes this.

  6. #22
    simplesamen is offline Seedling
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Portugal and Devon
    Posts
    45
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default inspired to try mock orange, thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by SarrissUK View Post
    I took a small cutting of the mock orange, and took off the sideshoots and planted them separately. The side shoots didn't live, but the main one seems to be ok so far. And yes, the mock orange smells amazing when in flower! Very, very perfumy!

    My passiflora has never fruited, but I didn't have it in a sunny position. One's died off, but I've managed to get shoots off the other - they didn't fare well with the snow last winter. Maybe if it's in full sun it will get fruits, but I can't say until this time next year.
    Thanks for the speedy reply, I have noticed some Mock Orange locally and would love to try rooting - thanks for the inspiration and tip about using the main 'woody' shoots rather than the green. Lets see what happens!

    Would be interested to hear how your passiflora goes (fruiting wise) next summer!

  7. #23
    cheops is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ballyhalbert, Ards Penisula
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Hi everyone - I can offer rooted small plants of the following-
    Primula denticula ‘drumsticks’
    Hardy gernamium [blue]
    Kniphofia [ice queen]
    Ajuga [dark bronze leaves]
    Oriental poppy -[orange]
    Strawberry -variety -‘just add cream’. -fruits all summer

    I am looking for

    Any sidalcea [expect purple flowers]
    Anemone japonica
    Any white/whitish hardy fuchsia
    Any variety of hellebore
    Bay cutting.
    Holly
    I am open to other possible plants if I don’t have them — must be perennial and good for pollinators.
    Last edited by cheops; 30-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    veggiechicken likes this.

  8. #24
    SarrissUK's Avatar
    SarrissUK is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North East Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    I have white-is fuchias Cheops, I'll take pics tomorrow. I don't know if they're hardy or not - I got them from a little shop in the park. I'm going to take cuttings for next year anyway, and happy to share

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts