Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 30
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Understanding Seed Circles and the VSP

  1. #17
    Norfolkgrey's Avatar
    Norfolkgrey is offline Mature Fruiter
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    You get one guess :)
    Posts
    5,561

    Default

    Vsp - I offer up my unique seeds, and request what I want from whichever list my offer is from. If I send 1 variety can only request 1.

    Yep

    Seed swap - I send in my seeds (can't be something common that everyone has) 1pk per group member. In return I get 1 pack from each member. So for a tomato swap with 12 members I should get 11 types of tomato seeds for sending in 1 unique one?
    What I don't understand is members sending in multiple varieties. So if I send 1 variety and say Scarlet sends in 3 will each member get 11+2 and Scarlet gets 11?



    Yes and Yes. (It may seem unfair to 'Scarlet in the example' but there are a lot of old hands/seedaholics/generous peeps and it is not an issue)

    I'm sure s/one mentioned they could appreciate ppl might not want 20 different tomatoes and so on so. Does that mean there is some leeway to decline seeds? Clearly we don't want the coordinator with a bagful of seeds going to waste too. How has that worked in the past?


    That was me saying tom seeds were fine in the all in circle, but the circles is all the seeds offered no declining as it complicates things.
    sparrow100 and Squingy like this.

  2. #18
    Squingy is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    Vsp - I offer up my unique seeds, and request what I want from whichever list my offer is from. If I send 1 variety can only request 1.

    Yep

    Seed swap - I send in my seeds (can't be something common that everyone has) 1pk per group member. In return I get 1 pack from each member. So for a tomato swap with 12 members I should get 11 types of tomato seeds for sending in 1 unique one?
    What I don't understand is members sending in multiple varieties. So if I send 1 variety and say Scarlet sends in 3 will each member get 11+2 and Scarlet gets 11?



    Yes and Yes. (It may seem unfair to 'Scarlet in the example' but there are a lot of old hands/seedaholics/generous peeps and it is not an issue)

    I'm sure s/one mentioned they could appreciate ppl might not want 20 different tomatoes and so on so. Does that mean there is some leeway to decline seeds? Clearly we don't want the coordinator with a bagful of seeds going to waste too. How has that worked in the past?


    That was me saying tom seeds were fine in the all in circle, but the circles is all the seeds offered no declining as it complicates things.
    That's fair enough! Who's gonna refuse 20 different toms? Not me!

    Thanks Norfolkgrey. Already joined swaps and will throw in my offers when the VSPs re-open in November. Seems so far away :-p

  3. #19
    Jonny.D's Avatar
    Jonny.D is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    581

    Default

    I couldn't understand the new systems, read to me something like . . .

    Turn left on a Tuesday, send in 20 packets of each seed you've saved and in return get a bundle of seeds you weren't looking for
    Small pumpkin likes this.

  4. #20
    Scarlet's Avatar
    Scarlet is offline O'Hara
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Just over the bridge
    Posts
    18,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny.D View Post
    I couldn't understand the new systems, read to me something like . . .

    Turn left on a Tuesday, send in 20 packets of each seed you've saved and in return get a bundle of seeds you weren't looking for
    What's so difficult?

    You have 4 packets of self saved tomato seed (12 seeds in each pack ) and 6 packets of chilli seed (all the same variety.) you can choose 10 packets of tomato and/or chilli seed from the list in the vsp - send me your seed with an sae and I will send out your 10 choices by return of post.
    What is it that you dont understand?
    Last edited by Scarlet; 02-06-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Norfolkgrey likes this.

  5. #21
    Norfolkgrey's Avatar
    Norfolkgrey is offline Mature Fruiter
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    You get one guess :)
    Posts
    5,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny.D View Post
    I couldn't understand the new systems, read to me something like . . .

    Turn left on a Tuesday, send in 20 packets of each seed you've saved and in return get a bundle of seeds you weren't looking for
    Actually its just a jump to the left, then a step to the right, put your hands on your hips....

    Seriously though. The VSP is a swap, you send in up to 20 packs of unwanted seed (saved or commercial) and ask for 20 in return. As well as sending an SAE to get your return seeds

    When it split in 3 it meant it was no longer a one stop shop so what you sent and requested had to be from the specified families in each section.
    Opening times were also introduced.


    Apart from that it shouldn't have made it that complicated

  6. #22
    Runtpuppy is online now Sprouter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I might be wrong, but I thought Jonny.D was being facetious.

  7. #23
    Scarlet's Avatar
    Scarlet is offline O'Hara
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Just over the bridge
    Posts
    18,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Runtpuppy View Post
    I might be wrong, but I thought Jonny.D was being facetious.
    I honestly think people are finding it difficult to understand. We used to get loads of requests but we couldn’t keep the seeds all under one roof.

    Maybe we could swap into one VSP and out of another - but obviously the stamp costs would be more?

    Eg: Post10 packs of toms/and or chilli seed to scarlet. And choose 10 from NGs VSP - peas beans etc....post the sae to NG for the return seeds?
    Small pumpkin and Runtpuppy like this.

  8. #24
    chris_m is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    South Cumbria
    Posts
    264

    Default

    And there was me thinking that seed circles were just very young corn circles
    All the best from rural South Cumbria
    Chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts