Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 18
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Try a seed circle, you'll like it

  1. #9
    broadway's Avatar
    broadway is online now Cropper
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Shireoaks
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    If you need some Tom seeds that aren't F1 to start you off on your seed saving adventures this year Broadway please send me a message.
    That's very kind Scarlet
    Scarlet and mcdood like this.
    Cheers

    Danny

  2. #10
    broadway's Avatar
    broadway is online now Cropper
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Shireoaks
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Another question sorry!!

    So is it obvious if your seeds are F1 i.e. is it plastered all over the packet?
    Cheers

    Danny

  3. #11
    mcdood is online now Tuber
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Most but not all will have some mention of F1, F2 or Hybrid.
    veggiechicken likes this.

  4. #12
    Vegi potager is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Nth West London
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdood View Post
    For any of you who haven't joined a circle before, give it a go in 2020, you'll probably enjoy it.
    MC Dood has it right... for a little time and effort (not forgetting an envelope and a few stamps.) I too am the now proud possessor of 47 new and different tomato seeds. The only drawback being Scarlet is asking what toms we are growing this year
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-a_100727.html
    How am I supposed to make up my mind? Either that or everyone in my street mysteriously has a tomato plant growing in their front garden. I am seriously considering gardening in the tree pits along the street as well!
    V.P.
    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

  5. #13
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is online now Warning, May contain nuts
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    63,257
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdood View Post
    Most but not all will have some mention of F1, F2 or Hybrid.
    If in doubt, its worth checking a few different suppliers' websites as some (notably the one with a T and an M in their initials) are misleading. There seems to be a view that, if we say its F1 we can charge more for less seeds.
    If anyone finds conflicting information, do tell us, as we will "ask" them why they don't agree.
    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
    The 2020 VC Calendar https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...an_100505.html
    @realveggiechicken

  6. #14
    Mamzie is online now Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Sunny South Wales Mountain
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I am most definitely hoping to join a seed circle or 2 I get ridiculously excited at seeing my baby seeds growing and transplanting and sharing strange plants with friends. So this sounds amazing to me.

    I only have seeds bought in Wilko sales and a few from Seed Parade, but am currently eagerly browsing Nickys Nursery and Real seeds to expand my choice while there is time. I certainly will have some to offer for a commercial swap. Tomatoes are my favourite, and I have finally persuaded my husband to try Alderman peas instead of dinky dwarfs x

  7. #15
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is online now Warning, May contain nuts
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    63,257
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veggiechicken View Post
    If in doubt, its worth checking a few different suppliers' websites as some (notably the one with a T and an M in their initials) are misleading. There seems to be a view that, if we say its F1 we can charge more for less seeds.
    If anyone finds conflicting information, do tell us, as we will "ask" them why they don't agree.
    Here's an old thread with questions about Sweet Aperitif, Red Alert, Rosella and Piccolo.
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ato_89038.html
    Small pumpkin and mcdood like this.
    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
    The 2020 VC Calendar https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...an_100505.html
    @realveggiechicken

  8. #16
    Norfolkgrey's Avatar
    Norfolkgrey is online now Mature Fruiter
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    it's that village you drive through
    Posts
    5,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamzie View Post
    I am most definitely hoping to join a seed circle or 2 I get ridiculously excited at seeing my baby seeds growing and transplanting and sharing strange plants with friends. So this sounds amazing to me.

    I only have seeds bought in Wilko sales and a few from Seed Parade, but am currently eagerly browsing Nickys Nursery and Real seeds to expand my choice while there is time. I certainly will have some to offer for a commercial swap. Tomatoes are my favourite, and I have finally persuaded my husband to try Alderman peas instead of dinky dwarfs x
    I am trying dinky ones. Despite the fact I have plenty of space I am finding myself drawn to micro veg plants (micro toms, half pint peas and dwarf runners)
    veggiechicken, mcdood and Mamzie like this.
    Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you...'Share'

    [SMALL] [/SMALL]




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts