Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 17 to 20 of 20
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: FOR NEW PEEPS, Chitting beans.

  1. #17
    4Shoes's Avatar
    4Shoes is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Wigtownshire
    Posts
    1,168
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Good thread... Wish I'd done this for my beans - 1 whole tray of pots failed.

    Other trays 50% failure. At least if I'd done this I could have saved the wait and disappointment of no beans to plant on.
    Runtpuppy likes this.

  2. #18
    Runtpuppy is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Shoes View Post
    Good thread... Wish I'd done this for my beans - 1 whole tray of pots failed.

    Other trays 50% failure. At least if I'd done this I could have saved the wait and disappointment of no beans to plant on.
    I guess you still can. I believe it is recommended that you keep sowing beans every 3-4 weeks for a regular, non-stop supply. Plus, being the nitrogen-fixers that they are, most other vegetables are happy to have them growing near them. I have them growing between strawberries. The new lot will be put in with the spinach. I may even try a few with tomatoes, maybe some in the rose pots. I only wish cabbages didn't dislike them so much.

  3. #19
    nickdub is online now Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Runtpuppy View Post
    I guess you still can. I believe it is recommended that you keep sowing beans every 3-4 weeks for a regular, non-stop supply. Plus, being the nitrogen-fixers that they are, most other vegetables are happy to have them growing near them. I have them growing between strawberries. The new lot will be put in with the spinach. I may even try a few with tomatoes, maybe some in the rose pots. I only wish cabbages didn't dislike them so much.
    As it gets later in the season, for anyone wanting to sow more peas its best to switch to "early" varieties. I know this sounds a bit "bass-ackwards" but the reason is earlies mature quicker, so they have a better chance of finishing before the weather intervenes, if sown in July/August say.
    Runtpuppy likes this.

  4. #20
    Runtpuppy is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickdub View Post
    As it gets later in the season, for anyone wanting to sow more peas its best to switch to "early" varieties. I know this sounds a bit "bass-ackwards" but the reason is earlies mature quicker, so they have a better chance of finishing before the weather intervenes, if sown in July/August say.
    Oh, that makes sense! Never thought of that...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts