Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner grower :)

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined today as I've found this forum to be filled with lots of great information

I am just starting out, i have purchased a cold frame to assist in my growing. I was looking for some advice on the best way to start using this cold frame (should i put the cold frame on slabs or just in the soil? how regularly do i water the seedlings? should i mix the compost with garden soil?).

I hope to grow the usual veggies (lettuce, tomato, carrots etc) and herbs (chilli, coriander etc).

I live just outside of Glasgow. Honestly, i'm a keen learner but i have no clue where to begin!

Also: My neighbour had planted strawberries last year but has since not bothered and i asked if i could take it (is there anyway to rejuvenate?) it has sprouted but nothing except the smallest strawberries are left.

Look forward to any advice provided.

Nice to meet you all,
    Linzee

Hi - take it easy - have fun - make a lot of mistakes as we all do, and learn from them.

Most seeds are better started inside away from the cold and the creepy crawlies - don't mix soil with compost unless you're sure you know what you are doing.

Happy gardening :-)

Comment

If the strawberry is in a pot, I would take it out and put it in a bigger pot with some new compost, or put it in the ground. Remove any dead stems/leaves/old fruit stems and give it a water, sure it will be alright.

Comment

Hi Linzee and welcome, I would suggest putting it on slabs as the would warm up in the sun and give it a bit of a boost at night.

Comment

Hello Linzee and welcome to the Gapevine, I would suggest that you post your question on the New Shoots thread as this one doesn't get visited by a lot of Grapes, when you are just starting I would recommend that you use compost till you get a bit of experience, as for the question of where to put your coldframe, put it in the most sheltered place preferably where it gets afternoon sunlight as for watering I use trays with cappilary matting and the seed trays or plant pots sitting on top of it and always keep the mat moist, if you decide to try it that way when you first put the trays or pots on the mat water gently on top of the soil which starts the wicking, what ever you do enjoy your gardening
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Hi Linzee welcome to the vine

Comment

Thanks so much for your comments and tips!

Excited to start

Comment

Hello & welcome to the vine this is just a thought but could carrots & lettuce be sown in the soil & put the cold frame over the top,would there be enough light,some sand could be sprinkled around to stop slugs as it’s undercover? The tomatoes & herbs can be sown in pots indoors on the windowsill it’s a bit cold overnight for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                  Hello & welcome to the vine this is just a thought but could carrots & lettuce be sown in the soil & put the cold frame over the top,would there be enough light,some sand could be sprinkled around to stop slugs as it’s undercover? The tomatoes & herbs can be sown in pots indoors on the windowsill it’s a bit cold overnight for them.
                  Hi Jane,

Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a good idea and I’ve put the cold frame over the soil and checking the temperature before I begin sowing. I’ll sow the herbs and tomatoes indoors as suggested

Comment

Hello, I am new to this forum too, but not to gardening. I think you'll find a lot of interesting information that will develop your gardening skills as I do. You can try with strawberry again, I am sure it will be great. Take care of water and good soil quality.

Comment

Hello Beatrice and welcome.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X