Compost mulch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost mulch

When advised to mulch with compost does this have to be homemade or does bagged multi-purpose do just as well?

First I'll say hello and welcome to the vine

I only use multi purpose compost for seed sowing so can't really say how it would work as a mulch, I imagine it might be a bit light though but if it's all you have.

Have a read at this older thread it might give you some answers until someone else comes along.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ned_93269.html
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I mulched my apple tree with some quite old MPC compost I had laying on the patio the other day,it’s all good to protect the soil underneath.

Comment

Hello Campsieman and welcome.

The purpose of mulch is manyfold. Amoung other things it regulates the temp in direct sunlight, it prevents evaporation and aids moisture retention, as it breaks down it feeds the soil life, it prevents heavy rain eroding the soil and splashing the lower leaves of Veg, it facilitates a slow release of fertiliser to the crop roots, it inhibits weed growth.
        The medium you use is often what you have available so well rotted horse manure, used compost, home made fresh compost, shop bought compost, shop bought soil improver, bark mulch, shredded cardboard, coffee grounds, part rotted wood chip etc.
        So use what you have or can get hold of cheaply.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X