Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and HELP!

Hello All,

This is my first post. I've read many posts and threads on here over the past few years but only actually joined up a few days ago. It's a great forum, full of knowledge and experience, to which I'd like to make some small contribution of my own.

However, I have a problem. I am unable to access my profile to edit it. Is this normal for newbies? Do I have to wait a certain period or make x number of posts before having this ability? any help gratefully received.

I'll let a mod answer your technical questions, as they're beyond me. But meanwhile:

Hello and welcome, Bonjour.

Comment

Hi Bonjour!
      As far as I'm aware you have to make a certain number of posts before you can post pictures & edit your profile, I'm not aware of how many exactly but I'm sure someone will be along who knows soon! It's not a massive amount though I think I got there in my first day or so

Comment

Thanks both,

If that's how it works PAP12, here's another post towards the count.

Comment

Hello fellow newbies, I only joined earlier this month, but am really enjoying taking part and learning more things.

Life and gardening is a wonderful adventure to explore x
          Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
          and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Bonjour...……..bonjour...……………...yes there are limits to when you can access parts of your account and also when you can join things like seed swaps, I have asked for a definite number and will report back, I think I know the answers, but don't want to be inaccurate. You can keep posting by telling us about your growing space and what you like to grow for starters.

Comment

Hi Bonjour,welcome to the vine,
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hi Burnie,

My wife and I have fairly demarcated growing roles. Hers is flowers and shrubs of a purely ornamental nature, mine is fruit and veg.

We have a small back garden in Alderney, in the Channel Islands, which is mostly paved area surrounded by flower/shrub borders. My wife also does LOTS of hanging baskets an containers annually.

My bit is just outside our back gate and is a kind of informal allotment. The land belongs to a neighbour, who kindly lets me use a patch around 16M x 13M. At the moment, due to my neglect last year, there isn't a lot out there.

One part contains our fruit bushes and trees. We have a Bramley and an Elstar apple, both planted about a year or so ago. We have a couple each of Blackcurrant "Ebony", Redcurrant (can't remember variety but very prolific) and Whitecurrant "Blanka", which I've just pruned properly for the first time since planting them 4 years ago. In addition we have six gooseberry bushes of varieties "Invicta" Hinomaki Red" and "Hinomaki yellow". Our tayberry growing efforts have not been terribly successful unfortunately and that is on it's final warning this year before I bin it and get something else. We also have several canes of (unknown) summer raspberries and various colours of autumn raspberries. Our rhubarb clump is thought to be "Victoria" and produces masses of immense stalks, far more than we can eat.

The remainder of the "Lottie" is divided into an asparagus bed, which I planted early last year, a strawberry patch, planted through mypex. and four, roughly equal areas for a four-year veg rotation.

I usually grow all the basic veg, plus courgettes, sweetcorn, florence fennel, butternut or Crown Prince squash, depending on which I fancy.

this year I'm going to have a first go at a hotbed, using manure from our horses. this will accommodate the sweet potato slips I'm nursing indoors at present.

In the garden we have an 8x12 ft greenhouse, in which we grow tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, aubergines and chillis.

Well done to anyone who has read all the way through this essay!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonjour View Post

However, I have a problem. I am unable to access my profile to edit it. Is this normal for newbies? Do I have to wait a certain period or make x number of posts before having this ability? any help gratefully received.
                  Bonjour you can edit your profile when you've done around 10 posts. Hope this helps.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren in Pots. Nearly there.

Comment

It will be interesting to hear about growing in the tropical south versus my North Eastern Scotland plot, I don't suppose you get frosts let alone snow down there. I have to grow my sweetcorn in the greenhouse as it is rarely warm enough outside.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                        It will be interesting to hear about growing in the tropical south versus my North Eastern Scotland plot, I don't suppose you get frosts let alone snow down there. I have to grow my sweetcorn in the greenhouse as it is rarely warm enough outside.
                        Hardly tropical I'm afraid. We do get the occasional frost and some years we get bursts of snow, notably during the "Beast from the East" episode of a couple of years ago. Yes, we have a maritime climate that gains some mildness from the tail-end of the Gulf Stream, but we are also quite a windy corner of the world (Nothing to do with beans I may add!). Generally, our frost dates are similar to Cornwall, Devon and Dorset.

I only grow sweetcorn varieties that are said to be reliable for the UK climate and I always start them in pots in the house, then out to the greenhouse for a bit before putting them out under large water bottles with the bottom cut out to make bell cloches. This keeps the wind off them and lets them establish. I generally do a block of 5x4 or 5x5 plants and get few failures to grow well and set cobs. Only problem is, they come all at once.

Comment

Hi! Bonjour wecolme to the vine!

Comment

Hi Bonjour, just welcomed you on your other thread

Comment

any Mods want to move this thread out of the #growwithgyo section?

Hi Bonjour, I have said hi before but just wanted to make sure you feel welcomed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X