Its cold and Dark so i am having a bit of a whinge about grow your own

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its cold and Dark so i am having a bit of a whinge about grow your own

Been a subscriber for a few years and enjoy many of the articles that have been written in their.
    But i must say they are becoming a bit like the banks (sorry for swearing )
    There are no real incentives to keep subscribing and very little imagination given to the seed give aways i know these are a little bonus but i love growing chillis and when you get your mag and recieve your 30th packet of cayenne chillis it becomes quite boring
    Rant over Back to the prop

I've stopped ny subscription. It was very expensive getting it sent to France and even the freeby seeds didnt make it worthwhile. I have 5 ? years of back copies (best parts only not the ads)and nuff info to see me through. I've spent half of my saved sub by buying seeds whilst i'm in england of seeds i find more difficult to find in france like rainbow chard and sutton broad beans.
    And perhaps I will buy french gardening mags - they are usually more life styly than practical but i'm sure i can search to find one that i like to buy from time to time.
    Last edited by Jardiniere; 17-01-2013, 12:57 PM.
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

crikey, if you are cold and in the dark, don't you think it might be more productive to do something positive instead of publicly whingeing. Some of us think that GYO is one of the best gardening mags available.

Comment

Whinging never changes anything. If you no longer like the mag, unsubscribe and invest your money elsewhere, there's lots of choice.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          Whinging never changes anything. .
          Whinging alone maybe not,but if Tigress60 were to add some thoughts as to how in his/her opinion the magazine contents could be improved so as the subscription would be continued,then maybe whinging could change into constructive criticism.
          Let's all remember that without a magazine there would be no forum & as such complaints should not be discarded out of hand,look what happened to the British motorcycle industry
          Last edited by bearded bloke; 17-01-2013, 05:57 PM.
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

That's very true, BB, but it has been my experience that those who like to whinge seldom want to stand up and change the situation themselves, they just hope someone else will do it for them.

I'm not saying Tigress60 comes into that category, perhaps if she knew who to contact she would make her feelings known, as indeed she has in a general way on this page. Any action is better than sitting on your hands and doing nothing.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
              Whinging alone maybe not,but if Tigress60 were to add some thoughts as to how in his/her opinion the magazine contents could be improved so as the subscription would be continued,then maybe whinging could change into constructive criticism.

Let's all remember that without a magazine there would be no forum & as such complaints should not be discarded out of hand,look what happened to the British motorcycle industry
              2 very valid points.

Tigress- have a little think and let Admin be aware of some positive ideas you have for the mag.
              Sometimes 'outsiders'( ie non Admin) can't always see alternatives
              I'm sure they'd be happy to have some constructive comments.

You could always pm them to one of us mods- and we'd forward them for you explaining why you would like to see changes in the mag.
              Last edited by Nicos; 17-01-2013, 06:24 PM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have been reading G.Y.O. and others for several years,after a while some articles become repetitive year after year but i would not miss the new tips and ideas of other people,in all this time i have never had to buy a packet if tomato seeds or peppers owing to freebies!

Comment

Nice balanced reply scarletrunner out of personal curiosity where you say "while some articles become repetitive year after year",would they be articles that would be of use to new readers of the magazine ?
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I think tigress60 has a point. As a fairly new gardener, I devoured GYO but after a couple of years it really was the same old stuff. Tricky for the editorial team though - in an ideal world you'd take your readers with you on a journey and everyone would become experts but the economic reality is that most folk who buy a gardening magazine will do so for fairly basic tips and ideas. Once they've got that, they probably won't buy it any more. It would be nice to see a 'half and half' mag though - even beginners might like to read about some more esoteric and technical aspects of horticulture.
                    I was feeling part of the scenery
                    I walked right out of the machinery
                    My heart going boom boom boom
                    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                    I've come to take you home."

Comment

I've subscribed to several gardening magazines over the years and they all become a little repetitive, purely because their role is to tell you what to be doing in your garden each month. Every year they have to say much the same things!
                      There has been a trend towards including poultry, bees, cookery and preserving in most of them over the years but it must be difficult to keep coming up with new topics all the time. The writers of the articles also move between magazines

Comment

I must confess at never buying any GYO mags..........when/if the vine folds, I may consider it.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          I may consider it.
                          dont bother Ive got loads you can have anytime....i even put them on freecycle but people who asked for them never collected em i cant bear to throw them away
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Same here HM. I have years of magazines - and I never look back at them. I did offload some onto a Grape a few weeks ago - maybe I can do the same next time he calls

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                              dont bother Ive got loads you can have anytime....i even put them on freecycle but people who asked for them never collected em i cant bear to throw them away
                              Stick them in to your dentist's waiting room. They disappear faster than snow off a dyke in there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X