Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd treat that criticism with a pinch of salt. Of course they used higher levels to prove the pathway.

If they used a lower limit and found no evidence, it could be down to low probability - after all if you took a survey of smokers without differentiating between occaisional, light and heavy users, most of them wouldn't die of lung cancer. Small comfort for the ones that do.

First show the causation, then work from there.

What is key to this result is the fact that it is the cocktail effect that kills, not the level of round-up per se.

Comment

The findings of the study are concerning, but pregnant women are not having mega doses injected straight into their peritoneal cavity. If real world doses are shown to produce the same effects, it would be much more worrying. It will be interesting to read discussion of this study from the scientific community; there is not much I can currently find since it only came out a a few weeks ago.

Comment

Surely the point is for people to ensure they receive less than the critical 'dosage' - so not use the stuff everyday, is a good idea, and to wear protective clothing if they do use it.
        'They' haven't declared tobacco illegal, yet have they? so why Glyphosate ?

Comment

$2bn damages awarded to an American couple.

Comment

they are not called Monsatan/Mutanto for nothing

I am going to err on the side of caution and never use roundup these are the reasons why :-

Monsanto products and track record

Saccharin: Center for Science in the Public Interest believes that saccharin is unsafe and has issued the sweetener its lowest rating of "avoid."

Aspartame: CSPI has also issued aspartame a rating of "avoid."

Vanillin: studies show that consuming synthetic vanillin may trigger allergic reactions, digestive disorders, and migraine headaches

Celebrex: cuases heart valve calcification

neonicotinoid coated seeds: research suggests these seeds have along with other intensive farming methods been partly responsible for the falling honeybee count

milk production hormone for cows: severe and unnecessary pain, suffering and distress, mastitis, reproductive problems and foot disorders for cows,

Monsanto claim all the above are safe and claim anyone saying otherwise is fake news.

DDT: need I say more

Agent Orange: Ditto

GM crops: Ditto

PCB's: Monsanto possibly knew as early as the 1960s—at least a decade before the federal ban—that PCBs were harmful to public health and the environment but continued to manufacture and sell the widely used product anyway.

Comment

Before anyone answers the above, please remember to play nicely...everyone is entitled to an opinion and quote information found on the web...

Each individual can then form their own opinion

Comment

Stigs you cannot expect any meaningful debate without giving the scientific sources, that just reads like a list from a site/group with an anti - Monsanto Agenda rather than actual research information. Sorry.

You and everybody else have the same choice - use it or not......

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                  Stigs you cannot expect any meaningful debate without giving the scientific sources, that just reads like a list from a site/group with an anti - Monsanto Agenda rather than actual research information. Sorry.

You and everybody else have the same choice - use it or not......
                  Hi Thelma,
                  I wasn't looking for a meaningful debate I was merely expressing my opinion and
                  giving the reasons that inform my decision, It is fairly pointless quoting a source for
                  these decisions as has been pointed out earlier in this thread companies with lots of
                  money can inform opinion buy paying for biased research. Some people like crystals on their desk some people don't some people will believe one side some people the other
                  but there is no smoke without fire.

Comment

Stigs it’s not just roundup to avoid if you look into it,there’s roundup ready (& gmo) crops fed to cattle etc - I buy organic milk & flour (roundup sprayed wheat & corn etc,glyphosate’s in a lot of food) really difficult avoiding it completely. Then there’s the fact that bayer own Monsanto,it crosses my mind poisoning & medicating by the same company but surely that couldn’t be happening....

Comment

lots of medicines kill things - antibiotics for starters.
                      And that's before you get to the stuff like chemo which is controlled killing bits of the patient at a slower rate than the cancerous bits in a controlled manner to ensure there is more of the patient left than there is of the cancer and recovery ensues.

The difference is, no-one uses chemotherapy for an infected toe.

All chemicals that have an effect have undesired side-effects at some point down the scale (even water). I have an issue with round-up and the like when they are used as labour-saving devices, as you are upping the ante with the amount of chemicals out there.

I'm less bothered about chemical use in agriculture than I am about someone using it because they can't be bothered to weed their driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                        Stigs it’s not just roundup to avoid if you look into it,there’s roundup ready (& gmo) crops fed to cattle etc - I buy organic milk & flour (roundup sprayed wheat & corn etc,glyphosate’s in a lot of food) really difficult avoiding it completely. Then there’s the fact that bayer own Monsanto,it crosses my mind poisoning & medicating by the same company but surely that couldn’t be happening....
                        Bayer trademarked the name her0in and marketed it as a non-addictive substitute for m0rphine, and lots of other unmentionable things pre 1950
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 28-08-2019, 08:27 AM. Reason: edited to avoid spam

Comment

Originally posted by stigs View Post
                          Bayer trademarked the name her0in and marketed it as a non-addictive substitute for m0rphine, and lots of other unmentionable things pre 1950
                          The dates for that should read " marketed by Bayer from 1898 to 1910 as a cough suppressant and over-the-counter treatment for other common ailments, including pneumonia and tuberculosis. Wikipedia. This was common at the time, modern drug testing wasn't available but many dreadful diseases were common. You cannot apply modern medicinal standards to those years.
                          Without these early drug research companies we would have none of the modern treatments we take for granted. Yes, mistakes have been made along the way, but on the whole I'd much rather live in modern times, than go back in time before medicines/antibiotics and other chemical substances were discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                            The dates for that should read " marketed by Bayer from 1898 to 1910 as a cough suppressant and over-the-counter treatment for other common ailments, including pneumonia and tuberculosis. Wikipedia. This was common at the time, modern drug testing wasn't available but many dreadful diseases were common. You cannot apply modern medicinal standards to those years.
                            Without these early drug research companies we would have none of the modern treatments we take for granted. Yes, mistakes have been made along the way, but on the whole I'd much rather live in modern times, than go back in time before medicines/antibiotics and other chemical substances were discovered.
                            No but only a fool wouldn't notice how addictive it is, having seen friends in the 80s turn from normal people to wrecks in just 3 weeks.

Comment

Why do all threads about Roundup/glyphosate/Monsanto etc go off track. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to being treated with respect.

I'm closing this one before it deteriorates further.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X