Now i feel guilty.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now i feel guilty.

Just been around the cabbage and broccoli beds, as i have seen so many butterflies around and pulled off a load of caterpillars last week.
    Well now it seems like i have a snail problem, so for the first time i walked around with a bucket of soapy water, each time i dropped one in there i felt awful. I normally don't kill anything if i can help it, but its getting a big problem. i should let my neighbour come and collect them for his dinner again!
    Also found a load of aphid eggs, but i didn't feel bad for squishing those! its a bad year so far for all these damn critters.
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Things like that can always feel horrid but I don't think you should beat yourself up over it. I pick off slugs and snails and put them near the frog homes in the garden to let them take their chance - it amounts to the same thing really. We all do what we have to do
    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

I can't kill anything so just have to put up with them! Sometimes I chuck them over the fence into no-mans (that autocorrected to Norman's...honestly it is no-mans) land.
      sigpic

Comment

You could always relocate them somewhere else where they'll have a fighting chance of living a happy snail life without coming into conflict with gardeners ...
        Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
        Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

I understand they are home birds, or snails, and will make their way back...who knows! Maybe I think I have a lot but it's actually the ones I put over the fence coming home! I also have a trellis with a planter at the bottom which is being overtaken by ivy. I would love to plant flowers in it during the summer but I know the snails live in it and can't bear to chop down their home...what can I do?!!
          sigpic

Comment

Ivy is a snail's idea of a perfect home! When I got rid of mine (it was covering about 6 square feet of wall) there were 38 snails snuggled up behind it .

I also had a hedge of dwarf chamaecyparis evergreens, 6 foot high. When they came out, there were groups of snails on every one, snuggled up together among the branches. Once both the ivy and evergreens were gone, the rest of my plants began to thrive - the only place snails can hide now is under the water butt
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

I couldn't kill any this year,I think the longer you look at the snail poking it's head out to say hello & thinking about it all,the worse it is. So it's best not to think about it & don't have eye contact with the snail

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
                You could always relocate them somewhere else where they'll have a fighting chance of living a happy snail life without coming into conflict with gardeners ...
                I'm sure she would koA but her car's broke.................
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                  pulled off a load of caterpillars last week.
                  Were they the 'processional caterpillars' quite a few of those where you are, or so I'm told, and very dangerous to dogs, just thought I would mention it in case you have dogs.

Comment

Maybe i am wierd but I kill slugs and snails with out so much as a mini pang of guilt. They did the crime so they have to do the time. If they were endangered species it might be different.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                      Maybe i am wierd but I kill slugs and snails with out so much as a mini pang of guilt. They did the crime so they have to do the time. If they were endangered species it might be different.
                      Me too Bill though I do try to make it as quick as possible.
                      Grapevine Facebook Group

My Blog

Comment

Electric Garden Slug Fence

No going back once you set up one of these baby's.

Comment

Yes i have dogs, far too many rescues, but no these are definitely cabbage white caterpillars.

I luckily have no pine trees or anything like that around, but if i go toward Granada you can see 1000īs of their nests and its quite scary.

Originally posted by Losos View Post
                          Were they the 'processional caterpillars' quite a few of those where you are, or so I'm told, and very dangerous to dogs, just thought I would mention it in case you have dogs.

sigpic

Comment

I think i have a mechanic who might even come out today, I've never needed to nip into town more than i have these last couple of days.

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            I'm sure she would koA but her car's broke.................

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X