Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorly broad beans

I'm new to gardening this year. And new on here... hello

anyway my broad beans are sick. They have holes and brown patches on the leaves, the stems have gone brown and the teeny broad beans have all gone black and horrid.

I've had a few lovely beans but the new ones are all black and even some of the middle sized ones are going black now.

What could it be, and should I just dig the lot up and throw em away? (no facilities for burning)

am a bit gutted actually. How can I avoid this next year? I've had a few beand and they've been lovely but was expecting them to last a lot longer... plus I have runner beans next to them, which are starting now... will they all die too?

Thanks

Hi

any chance of a photo?

and Welcome to the Vine

Comment

Yes of course. D'oh.

Comment

When I say runner beans are starting, i mean to grow, not to go black and die. Runners are looking very healthy, if rather blackfly infested *must remember to squirt with the soapy water DAILY...* and not long off eating size now. Which is all very exciting, and I might have to have a tantrum if they all go black and die as well

Comment

D'ya know what? Broad beans don't like summer. They like early spring weather. Try again next year
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Someone else said it could have been weather- related.

I didn't get to planting till April this year (we had so much snow, and when we didn't have snow other stuff got in the way) but thinking of some over wintering beans this year.

Would I need to buy a poly tunnel?

Comment

Broad beans are hardy.
              If your weather is fierce, sow Aqueldulce Claudia, direct, in early November. Lots of older threads on the subject
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X