Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do slug pellets actually kill the slugs, and do they work on snails?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do slug pellets actually kill the slugs, and do they work on snails?

As an experiment i gathered half a dozen snails yesterday and placed them in a lidded box (with air holes) and big handful of organic slug pellets containing ferrous sulphate ('Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer Certified for Organic Use'). When i checked this afternoon the snails were still alive, happy as larry, and had fouled the area with poop. I moved them to a clean patch with another handful of pellets and will check again tomorrow.

How long does it take for the pellets to kill, do they work only on slugs (the one i used was advertised for slug use only - though i'd assume if it's toxic to one, it should be to the other)? Perhaps i should use a non-organic product next time? With the recent rain, they've wreaked havoc with my courgette plants, however, the vines have grown so tremendously the damage should have negligible impact on plant health.

You're only supposed to use one pellet every few inches, otherwise they repel rather than bait the beasties

As to your courgettes: you may find that older, tougher plants can withstand a bit of munching. It's why I don't sow seeds direct, rather into modules first, grow the plants on, then plant out when bigger
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-07-2010, 10:03 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well they've definitely been eating the pellets, they're now on their third serving! All still very much alive. If only i could find some slugs...

Comment

the organic ones arn't that effective

Comment

I'm afraid |I gave up on the organic ones last year -spent a fortune and they just didn't work. Put out a few 'blue sweetie' types later that seemed to do the trick. Felt so guilty but the plants remained intact.
          Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Yes they do. They also kill birds, cats and hedgehogs so, please, only use one or two hidden under a slate or flat stone.
            Or you may consider a slug-pub. Yoghurt pots or similar, half buried in the earth around your patch and half-filled with beer(Tesco Value will do, slugs aren't fussy!) Then the word will go round "Pellets or a booze-up?" The beer wins every time and the slugs die happy. And if you have ducks they will be happy too!!

Comment

ive used Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer with good results.
              make sure you water them after you put them down
              Last edited by Ruud; 16-07-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

If birds/frogs eat the "poisoned" slugs will it kill them too.?
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

It was for fear of poisoning local wildlife that chose organic, but they really do not work (at least on the snails, which i've now disposed of after fattening them up with premium slug pellets!).

Comment

If you're going to put them in a box then it doesn't matter what you kill them with as other animals can't get to them. I had a box of salt one year which I lobbed slugs into but it just became a slimy horrible mess after a while. These days I just stamp on them to squash them and then put their bodies on the bird table or if they're really big and juicy I sling them into the next door lottie holder's chicken pen and they chase then one that gets it like something from Benny Hill.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X