Small frog like insect, I think.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small frog like insect, I think.

Was out watering this morning and spotted something on the edge of a pot.
    My eyes are not perfect, but still not to bad.
    It looked like a small frog about quarter inch long, but I had the impression it was an insect.
    Moved my hand near and it zipped away a bit like grass hopper does.

Any ideas what it might have been ?

Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

May have been a Green Shield Beetle??

Comment

Don't think so, I have seen those before.
      It was thinner and it's head was a bit wider than the body.
      But I only saw it for a moment.
      Jimmy

Comment

I think I know what it was. They don't often come out during daylight hours, and tend to be seen near pubs, or small towns out in America.

A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Bit to early for a drinky even for me so I don't think it was a green man.

Looked a bit like ..

Homoptera

Jimmy

Comment

I was going to suggest Cuckoo Spit(Frog Hoppers),but that's what you've linked to anyawy.
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

are you sure it wasn't a froglet? There are hundreds about at this time of year.
              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

My guess was froghopper too: a particularly apt name, seeing as how they move just like one
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Small frog-like insect.

Hi, Jimmy. I see you started this thread quite a few years ago, but I just stumbled onto it by asking the same question. I was cleaning the bathroom with the front door wide open the other evening (August, 24, 2019) in southern California, USA and a little bug flew in and landed. He was quite clumsily trying to climb up the wall to no avail. He kept landing on his back at which time I observed his remarkable abdomen. It reminded me of a sort of reptile. An iguana or lizard-type of pattern/color. What caugh my attention about him in the first place was the shape of its head. Unlike most other insects (beetles, ants, etc.) which have an abdomen, a thorax and a small head sometimes too small to have easily recognizable face-features, this one had 2) large eyes on the sides of his wide head, shaped just like a frog's! Plus, his skin looked exactly like frog skin. His head blended into his abdomen without the distinct separations that other bugs have. He had 6 legs and 2 long narrowblack wings covering his back. I was so amazed and baffled that I started taking pictures and even videos of it. I hope I can attach it to a reply here. Oh, and it was about 1/4" long. I hope to hear from anyone who knows anything about this interesting creature.

Comment

Small frog-lookin' insect.

https://youtu.be/zHJa6VtF7GQ

Oh, yay. I just had to upload it to YouTube to post this video of the neat little guy. Here it is...

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Erin our members are mostly UK based so I doubt anyone will recognise your insect without resorting to google. All the best with your search.
                      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 29-08-2019, 07:34 AM.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Looking at google pics, your little insect looks like a froghopper or leaf hopper. Leafhoppers exist in the UK, and they're green so that might be your answer Jimmy
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X