Cabbage white butterflies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabbage white butterflies

Has anyone noticed a decline this year (not that I'm complaining!)?

It's just that, between being newly pregnant so being too tired to keep things tidy and taking some tips from Alys Fowler (not planting in blocks and growing flowers amongst the veggies), I haven't had any problems this year, so wondered if it was the method or just that numbers are down?

http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Come to think of it I haven't seen that many flying around the garden, hope I've not spoken too soon.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Flippin' plenty of 'em round 'ere...

Comment

Was thinking the same thing myself this week.

Saw lots of them when we had that nice weather back in April (I think) but only really seen a couple of them in last few weeks.

Comment

I havent seen many but again thought it was because of companion planting etc

Comment

Thanks! I think it might have been the cold weather we had in winter killing them off then?

I've had a few of the large white single caterpillars, but not the ones that descend in their hundreds on each leaf.

(hope I haven't spoken too soon either!)
            http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

We've had a few round here, not so many. I think the cold weather has -delayed- them
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ditto, haven't seen any yet. I'm wondering whether to take the netting off but knowing my luck they will be watching...........
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 27-06-2010, 08:37 PM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Only seen one or two....I'm liking this!!!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Something's already laid eggs on my greenhouse cabbages: I picked lots of tiny caterpillars off the suddenly-holey leaves y'day
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Having gone to a great deal of trouble, over winter, making butterfly proof cages, ready for the annual onslaught on my brassicas I find that the issue this year is not butterflys (I've only seen 2 large whites) but lack of rain. Being on a meter I have to be careful with the watering and here in South Yorkshire most things are hardly growing, although our first early potatoes (Sharp) are cropping quite well but the tubers are very small. We have had no appreciable rain for 6 weeks what rain there has been has hardly wet the soil.

More of a concern is that besides the shortage of butterflys we have hardly any bees of any variety. We have a wildlife friendly garden with patches of clover and a lavender hedge but only see the occasional bee. In fact this evening there was great excitement when we saw 5 bees on the lavendar! But in truth there should have been dozens. Is the cold winter to blame or our very dry spring?

Comment

Can I ask what companion plants can be used as Cabbage White deterrents please?

Comment

I planted nasturtiums as sacrificial plants but to be honest they havent been touched either

Comment

Likewise here - I thought they were maybe just delayed - would be lovely to think they'd taken a beating last winter (I'm not really so sadistic, but I AM fond of my brassicas!).
                            Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                            So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Have only had a couple in the garden so far this year. Found one caterpillar today but have loads of black and green fly!!
                              AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X