No announcement yet.

Serious help blackfly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My broadbeans have blackfly too. I noticed they were covered with black ants at first then looked closer and saw the ants were after theblackfly.
    I blasted them off with my hosepipe and then resorted to bugspray which has of course killed some poor ants in the process.
    Reading these threads I assume broadbeans are susceptible(sp) to blackfly. I cant see any on anything else in my garden....so far.

I only have 4 broadbean plants (being a newbie I've got lots of different veg but not much of each one in my pocket hanky sized back garden) but maybe I won't bother with them again next year.

Thanks for the soapy water tips though. I will try to save the ants next time.
    Some of the white flowers are going black and look to be almost rotting. Too much water on them maybe????
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Ants aren't your friend here, Row.
      They aren't eating the blackfly, they are moving them onto your plants and then protecting them from predators.
      This is because they drink the honeydew that the aphids produce when tickled
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieGardenerRow View Post
        Some of the white flowers are going black and look to be almost rotting. Too much water on them maybe????
        That's what the flowers do ... turn black and fall off. You'll have beans in about a fortnight

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          That's what the flowers do ... turn black and fall off. You'll have beans in about a fortnight
          Whoo hoo thanks. I thought I'd over watered. I'll have some just before my hols then. I've sprayed them with soapy water today.They are not huge plants but they have a fair few flowers so I should get enough for a couple of meals at least.
          Thanks for the advice about the ants Two Sheds. There's me thinking they were doing me a favour
          Ah well I'm learning something new every day.
          from Row.
          Last edited by NewbieGardenerRow; 16-06-2009, 03:43 PM. Reason: typos....doh!
          Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Oh yeah, I did too! On my bolting parsnip.
            I've got black fly on my parsnips too, does this mean they're bolting?

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Peabody View Post

I hope not!!! I've got rid of the black fly on the parsnips now and they don't seem to be showing signs of bolting
              AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Peabody View Post
                No, bolting means the plants is sending up a flower.
                I'm saving last year's parsnip for seed. This year's are only 2 inches high

Comment

I've been blasting them with garlic water [made from squishing the scapes] and squashing them. Infestation is lessening.
                  My hands stink of garlic though, i forgot to put gloves on....:::sigh:::

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X