This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi

i have seen loads of brown spots on my potato leaves and i thorght it was blight so i did what the book said and got rid of the leaves that were affected.
    but now reading this i think that it may not have been blight (there were only small spots, and just seem to have appeared after a heavy rain storm)

i just got rid of the leaves, i didnt pull up the whole plant - but have i just ruined my potato crop!
    :-(

Comment

I got some chocolate spots on one of my batches of toms, the nearest I could find was the chocolate spots for magnesium deficiency in potatoes, so fed them and they recovered easily and quickly. if they are little spots as polka dots then that's probably it.
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

peppertom - I've moved your query to the current blight thread.

I'd say you haven't ruined your crop - as long as you haven't removed ALL the leaves.
        Last edited by zazen999; 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Is It Blight

Hi There

I hope you can help.

I am new to the forum & growing potatos.

I have a number of potatos in containers and the leaves are developing bronze spots & don't look to healthy.

I have attached a photo.

Can anyone tell me if it is blight and what I should do if it is.

Many Thanks
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SarzWix; 07-06-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Are the leaves at the top of the plant or near the bottom?
            Potato videos here.

Comment

Blight

Hi

The marks a some what spread all over - possibly more on the leaves that are more exposed.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Comment

I will stick my neck on the line and say that water droplets in the early morning are being scorched into the potato leafs producing the damage that you are getting.
                Potato videos here.

Comment

Blight :P

Hi All

I have got blighted potatoes and my tumbling toms that were doing so well and had LOTS of flowers on have it as well Looks like I will have to do with what potatoes have grown and go without toms this year...
                  Donna

"You need to propagate to accumulate..."

Comment

Oh no

Maybe you could buy replacement young tomato plants and keep them under cover?

Comment

Raindancer, I've merged your thread into the running Blight thread. Before you bin them, just check that it IS blight.

Comment

Thank you Zazen
                        Donna

"You need to propagate to accumulate..."

Comment

Potato Blight

At the plot yesterday I noticed some of my spud plants have tiny brown freckles on the leaves. I reckon this might be early blight.

They are on selected plants, 1st earlies, 2nd earlies and early maincrop.

The question is what do I do about it? Should I cull affected plants and burn them? Or will the earlies get away with it, so to speak?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: Never mind I just spotted the 'is it blight?' thread and perhaps it isn't, so i will just keep an eye on it i think.
                          I must learn to use the search facility!
                          Last edited by Couperman; 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM.
                          Kev.

Eagles may soar, but chickens don't get sucked into jet engines.

Comment

I've merged it anyway Couperman....just to give others hope that it might not be blight!

Comment

Hi all. I have lots of people contacting me about yellow leaves with brown/black dots or green leaves with brown/black dots and haulms that look unwell. If you have any of these problems the first thing to do is use epsom salt on them as stated earlier in the thread.
                              Potato videos here.

Comment

Hi all

I have the same with most of my earlies and early mains, although the ones that we have lift so far have been fine, might look at lifting the rest of my newbies before its too late

Toms seem ok at the moment

Not many slugs around my way this year, phew but the blackfly is everywhere, just trying home made garlic spray at mo but doesnt seem to be working

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X